icon

Proximity Sensor Need some advice

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
noregret4life 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2006 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  

So technically, i can just use the circuit as is, with no need for the output.

Because if i understand correctly, the circuit will enable, and disable the proximity sensor on lock/ulock... and the proximity sensor has the outputs for the siren already.

I guess i can use the output (+) [what we have been calling the relay toggle] to power an additional alarm LED or something... am i correct ?

The original use for the PAC module was to "be the logic circuit" so since it's not needed here i'm sure i can find some other use for it in the future. If not maybe Ebay it.

dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2006 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  
Actually, you do need the PAC module with this circuit, because the output is just going to be a pulse output similar to what you're putting in with the lock/unlock inputs. This circuit just blocks the pulse from getting through at the wrong times, like when the prox sensor is powered up already, and you send in a lock input. If it wasn't blocked, you'd end up turning it back off, which is what you were having problems with.
You need to latch the power on or off (because I assume your proximity sensor isn't set up to take a pulse input to turn on and off), and that's the PAC's purpose in life. It does seem like overkill for the purpose, but if you want to do without it, you'd need a different circuit.
If the prox sensor is something more than I'm thinking it is, then it might work, but isn't the PAC simply turning the power to the sensor on and off?
noregret4life 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2006 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  

Yeh you are right, now it seems that PAC is overkill.

Yes, it is simply turning power on and off to the Proximity sensor?

Perhaps a revised circuit?

dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2006 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
- revised circuit-
Proximity Sensor Need some advice - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
noregret4life 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2006 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, please note i am a totally new to all this.. so bare with me.

I am about to place an order online for the parts listed in the diagram above. Now from what i was told, i will need a "Breadboard" in order to put it all together. Is this correct? Can someone help with a Part#  on what i will need to mount and wire all this to?

Thanks in advance.

dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2006 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
For something relatively as simple as this, I'd probably just get an integrated circuit socket, and just make the connections you need on the socket pins. You need at least a 14 pin socket (7 pins on each side), but if you get a larger one, you'll have room to fit the transistor on it also, which would be nicer. That way you can just plug in the components after you're done wiring up all the connections, and it allows you to replace the parts easily if there are any failures. The diodes can be soldered directly to the pins as necessary rather than using up plugging in to the socket.
This is an 18 pin one for 15 cents that should do- socket
noregret4life 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2006 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks dualsport. You have been a great help with this project!

Just one other quick question. I have searched Mouser for 2 more parts a tiny push button switch like the one below and 2-pin headers like those on a computer motherboard so i could attach wires to the other end, and the 2 hole (female) plug that would attach to them. The distance between the pins is 2.5mm. Basically just like the one on a computer motheboard connections to the power switch. I wish i knew the technical names for all these parts, then i wouldn't have to bug you about it. If you know what its called or what i should search for would be a great help.

Proximity Sensor Need some advice - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. < mini switch.. about 5-10mm big

Proximity Sensor Need some advice - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. < 2 position pins so i can attach wires to the other ends. And 2 position female plug

Thanks again,

Lenny

dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2006 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
Take a look at these switches and see if they're what you're looking for- probably figure F.
Have to dig around for the 2.5mm header receptacle; saw some that might do, but the item listing didn't show a picture of it.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic