icon

voltmeter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeryl 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2006 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged  
i was wondering what voltmeter u guys recommend to get... i want one that u dont have to splice into wires to test for voltage... i know i seen it somewhere... its sensitive enough u jus probe the outside of the wire and get to see if voltage and how much is present... thanks i been using jus a regular digital voltmeter and i know it really doesnt matter as long as it works... i jus want something thats reliable and easy to use w/ that feature... thanks guys!!!
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2006 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  

I know of 'voltage pens', they will tell you if a voltage is present, but i don't know of anything that will measure and display voltage in a wire without physically connecting to it.. do you have an example?

Jim

electrostatic 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2006 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
this is what you want                         insulation piercing test leads or a similiar insulation piercing test lead.
jeryl, clamp-on meters are non-contact, but they measure current. and what mad scientists is talking about is a capacitive voltage tester. they don't provide a voltage measurement. they indicate when an ac voltage is present.
Prove your connections, use a meter!
I promise, I'll behave!
jeryl 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2006 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
an example is there is a logic probe used to be made by radioshack which was so sensitive u could sense voltage near the wire w/ out physically connecting to it... but they dont make it anymore
captainzab 
Silver - Posts: 606
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2006 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
Well, there is a digital multimeter that is suppose to allow you to see the amount of current being drawn by placing the ring around the wire. I bought it at harbor frieght, but it doesnt work. So not sure if what you plan to get will work either, that might be why radioshack doesnt have it anymore.
electrostatic 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2006 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
captainzab wrote:
Well, there is a digital multimeter that is suppose to allow you to see the amount of current being drawn by placing the ring around the wire. I bought it at harbor frieght, but it doesnt work. So not sure if what you plan to get will work either, that might be why radioshack doesnt have it anymore.
what were you measuring ac or dc? is it a current transformer (for ac measurements) or a hall-effect sensor (for ac/dc measurements)? these meters work when measuring a single conductor at a time. if you try measuring a cable (2 conductors or more) the magnetic fields will cancel and the meter won't provide the measurement you're looking for.
Prove your connections, use a meter!
I promise, I'll behave!
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 31, 2006 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  

Get a Fluke 87V with insulation piercing leads. 

Best setup ever.

Kevin Pierson

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic