icon

98 Ram Install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
big_bogus 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2003 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  
I am debating on purchasing and installing a Hornet 554T. I can pick the unit up for about $240. I like the features and for the price it seems like a great deal. Now for the fun. I have downloaded the Installation manualfrom DEI and found the wiring Information here. While reviewing the manual and refering to the wiring info, I am confused. The manual isn't the clearest.
Question #1, Concerning Starter Disable/remote start: Is the starter wire from the alarm just spliced into the starter wire in the truck. This seems wrong. I would think that the circuit would need to be interrupted to prevent grinding in the event that the key is turned to the start position??!!? I just reread this and think that I cut the Ignition 1, Ignition 2, and Starter wires and connect the output side to the Alarm brain/relays, and the ignition wire to the input of the brain.
Questin 2: Power locks. I have read this is a 5 wire system. Can anyone verify this? The alarm has 2 wires - lock, + unlock and -unlock +lock. Please help me understand.
Thanks
10nesne1 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2003 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  

Ans 1) The Starter Disable is an optional relay installed with the alarm system.  When you arm the alarm/starter then you cannot start it with the key, but you can remote start  the vehicle.  You do not cut the Ignition1, and Ignition2 than just connects the wires to it.  When you installed a Starter Disable relay on the vehicle, make sure you join both wires to the motor side, and not the key side.  It will not start if you connected to the key side.

Ans2) This vehicle comes with 5 wire system and your alarm system has 2 wires for lock and unlock.  You will have to hook up two relays to lock and unlock the door lock system.

5 Wire Alternating 12 Volts Positive Door Locks
Like the configuration above, the switch, when moved in either direction, applies both power and ground directly to motor legs  without the use of any relays. Except, at the switch in this case, both motor legs rest at ground . Therefore it is only necessary to change the polarity of one motor leg to lock or unlock the vehicle.

98 Ram Install -- posted image.
big_bogus 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2003 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the quick reply.
Back to question 1. I think I understand. Ignition 1 and 2 from the brain get piggy backed to the I1 and I2. The starter wire gets cut and the motor side gets connected to the relay. Is the starter wire from the key just terminated and left hanging? I am not sure what you mean about both wires to the motor side.
Second, where is a good place to get relays? Parts Express, Digikey, or just the shack.
The install manual wants a switch installed in the Neutral saftey circuit to the brain. Why the override switch?
Lastly, the manual stetes to not use T-Taps or scotch locks for certain connections. What should I use? Strip and solder?
Thanks for your patientence.
Any places where I need diodes?
10nesne1 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2003 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  

Ans 1) Well, the starter disable relay comes prewired on the alarm system.  One side goes to key side and other goes to motor side when you cut the starter wire.  When you connect it up make sure you connect the starter wire from the starter relay pack wire together with with the prewired starter disable relay wire to the motor side.  It doesn't matter pin 30 or pin 87a on the starter disable relay.  As long as the two wires go to the motor side.  If you hook it up to the key side then you will not be able to start the vehile.  Ex. when you turn the starter over with the key and it sends 12v to the starter wire. 

Ans 2) I don't know where you live.  You can buy Relays and Diode from any car alarm retailers on your area.

Ans 3) The Neutral Safety switch is different from an Override switch.  The Neutral protech your vehicle and tells the starter is safe to start.  Override switch allow you to bypass the alarm system and programming for the alarm system.

Ans 4) Soldering is the best connection for alarm system or alarm/starter combo.  Some installers still use T-Taps and Scotch locks.  Those works ok but not great.  It will give you problems in a year or two.

big_bogus 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2003 at 6:51 AM / IP Logged  
I ordered the Hornet 554T for $170 with free shipping. Some more Q's before I receive and install the unit.
Does the 5 wire lock relay setup lock/unlock both doors or just one? The reading I've done makes it sound like only one door gets locked/unlocked.
The remote start/starter disable thing still confuses me. I want to view the alarm wires and relays before I ask any more Q's. I see some people refer to the starter wire as the ignition wire, this is confusing when there is a starter wire, ignition wire 1 and ignition wire 2. - I'll get back to this later.
What type of relay harnesses should I buy. With the diode or without?
Thanks agai
mykrowsy 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2003 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  

HI, I am doing the same thing to a 99 ram.  I ordered my 554t from autotoys.com on 1-17, and am hoping to get it by the 25th.  I ordered relays from parts express for 99 cents apiece, and got  a 5-diode pack from autotoys.  However, I share the same questions as you about the ignition - why is there a 2nd ignition?

and are my starter and ignition wires connected to two (or three) seperate relays?  are they special - made just for that purpose - or can i use any old spst relay in there?

door locks are confusing too.

big_bogus 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2003 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
The Alarm has 5 relays included. One for starter kill. The rest are in the satellite relay bank. There is 1 for remote start starter power, 1 for ignition 1,. 1 for ignition 2, and 1 for accessory i.e. a/c blower.
I am due to receive mine today. I still need to order the relay for the power locks. I just hope some one answers my earlier questions.
Good luck
10nesne1 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2003 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
5 Wire Alternating 12 Volts Positive Door Locks
Like the configuration above, the switch, when moved in either direction, applies both power and ground directly to motor legs  without the use of any relays. Except, at the switch in this case, both motor legs rest at ground . Therefore it is only necessary to change the polarity of one motor leg to lock or unlock the vehicle.
98 Ram Install -- posted image.
This will lock and unlock your power door lock.  You can get the relays from any local electronic retail store in your area.  Or you can pick it up at a car dealership which will cost a more for the relays.  I will include a wiring diagram for this vehicle.  Good luck...
YEAR: 1998  MAKE: Dodge  MODEL: Ram Pickup  STYLE:
|       ITEM          |     WIRE COLOR      |POL |       WIRE LOCATION        |
|                 12V |red and pink/black   | +  |ignition harness            |
|             STARTER |yellow               | +  |ignition harness            |
|            IGNITION |dk. blue             | +  |ignition harness            |
|     SECOND IGNITION |BLACK/ orange         | +  |ignition harness            |
|           ACCESSORY |BLACK/ white          | +  |ignition harness            |
|          POWER LOCK |ORANGE / purple *1     |5wi |driver door harness         |
|        POWER UNLOCK |pink/purple *1       |5wi |driver door harness         |
|    PARKING LIGHTS + |BLACK / YELLOW         |    |drivers kick panel          |
|          HEADLIGHTS |lt. GREEN/ black      | +  |steering column             |
|        DOOR TRIGGER |yellow *2            | -  |drivers kick panel          |
|   FACTORY ALARM ARM |arms with lock *3    |    |                            |
|FACTORY ALARM DISARM |lt. GREEN/ orange     | -  |harness from door           |
|          TACHOMETER |BLACK/ gray *4        |    |ignition coil               |
|          BRAKE WIRE |WHITE/ tan            | +  |at brake pedal switch       |
|        HORN TRIGGER |BLACK/ red            | -  |steering column             |
|              WIPERS |RED / blk & RED / yel    | +  |steering column             |
|   LF WINDOW UP/DOWN |lt. blue - white     | A  |drivers window switch       |
|   RF WINDOW UP/DOWN |brn/wht - pur/wht    | A  |harness from door           |
NOTES:
*1 Keyless models use positive trigger for lock, and 5-wire for unlock.
Can also find wires at the central timer module to the right side of the
steering column, lock is ORANGE / green, unlock is pink/green.
*2 To avoid dome delay, use tan for the drivers door and BLACK/ lt. blue
for the passenger door. Both wires are located at the central timer module
to the right side of the steering column. Use both wires and diode isolate
each.
*3 Must see a ground on the tan drivers door trigger wire while locking to
arm the factory alarm. This only works if the vehicle does not have
delayed domelight.
*4 Diesel tach wire is gray/black and diesel wait to start wire is
ORANGE / black (-) 'see direct fax document #1090'. Both wires are located on
the center of the firewall. There are two black plugs, the wires are in
the top plug without the white insert. The tach wire can also be found at
the ECM on the passenger side firewall in connector C-1, pin 8.

mykrowsy 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2003 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  

boy am i glad i ordered my alarm when i did.  I got it for 168.95, and now the same place is asking 199.95

so will i just need 2 extra relays?  and are they the spst type or another kind?

will i need the doorlock module (451m i think), or will the relays do just fine.  what about window roll up/down, turn neons on/off, and so on??   thanks again,   mike

big_bogus 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2003 at 6:18 AM / IP Logged  
I am glad I ordered my 554T when I did!!! It recenly went up to $175, then to $199. I guess it is a hot item. I also ordered a glass break sensor. My only question about that is the best location to install it???
I ordered my SPDT relays from Parts express. Really cheap, but shipping sucks. I ordered the twin relay harness to use for the door locks.
I received the 554 yesterday and took a good look at it. It seems like it should be an easy, but tedious install. The only wire I was unsure about was the yellow wire on the starter kill. The manual states connect it to the ignition wire. I assume they mean ignition 1, a wire with 12 Volts when the key is in the on position. But looking at its function, it only provides 12V to the starter kill relay and the alarm provides ground when armed. I think I can use the actual starter wire (key side) to feed the yellow wire.
The only wires that need to be cut is the starter wire for the Starter kill, and the door lock and unlock. Not bad, cut 3 wires and piggy back the rest.
While researching this install, I was surprised to see how many installers are using T-Taps and scotch locks, which is contrary to the advice of soldering all connections received here.
Mykrowsy - Good Luck. I plan on doing my install this weekend. Hopefully the temperature will rise and my relays will arrive. -- It doesn't help that I totaled my car on Tuesday and need to shop for one this weekend. I guess I'll be extremely busy - 554 install, car shopping, superball party.
Thanks to everybody. I let you know how it turns ou
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic