icon

Low level hum?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
punkbastard 
Copper - Posts: 137
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2006 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
I was just curious.  When you hook up an amp and sub to a factory headunit through an LOC and use the vehicles accessory wire as an amp turn on, why do you get a low level hum when the car is on and radio turned off?  It only happens sometimes from what I can gather but i've never known why it does that.  My only line of thought is that since the radio is off tne there is no input voltage to the LOC, hence no input signal at the amp and maybe there is some kind of feedback problem.  Anybody who can explain this to me would be very much appreciated
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2006 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
its not an always thing. i've done many setups with LOC's and never gotten a hum. its getting some kind of interferance somewhere.
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2006 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  

With the amp on (even with the radio off) the interference can now be amplified.

Are power and ground solid?

Are you using quality RCA Cables?

There are things to check...possibly even where you are running the RCA cables. There have been threads regarding whether or not noise will propogate when running power next to signal, but this is something to look at as well.

The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
electrostatic 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2006 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  

to troubleshoot mute the amp using muting plugs and post results. muting plugs are easily made by jumper-ing an rca connector's  leads together. then connect them to the input channels of the amp. if the noise goes away your problem lies further up the signal chain, i.e. loc, headunit, etc.

Prove your connections, use a meter!
I promise, I'll behave!
punkbastard 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2006 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
Its not on a car that I am working on now or anything, I have just seen it in the past and wanted to know why it happens.  Most recently I saw it on a car that I did a remote start, sub and amp in off of the factory deck.  I didn't hook up the accessory wire that powers the radio at first so when I remote started, the car was on meaning the amp was on but the radio wasn't  and there was that noise, once you put the key in or once I hooked up that wire, it worked fine with no noise.  Every other time I have seen it that has been the case, radio off = noise, radio on = no noise.  If there was interference due to poor cables or wiring than it would show itself all the time right?
electrostatic 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2006 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
my bad!
Prove your connections, use a meter!
I promise, I'll behave!
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2006 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
Now you're getting a bit out of my realm. I will defer to the older...oops, I mean more experienced members Low level hum? -- posted image.
The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
punkbastard 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2006 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
ha ha, nice.  I tend to think a bit too deep in to things, can't help it.  By the way your signature is now my headline on myspace, thats funny.
punkbastard 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2006 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  
All I know for sure is that I have never had this problem using the exact same equipment with an aftermarket radio.  Thats why i think it has to have something to do with either the LOC or using accessory as an amp turn on.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 29, 2006 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
Close, but I believe it has to do with the regular speaker wire that connects the LOC to the factory wiring.  These wires, if not twisted, will act as antennae (so to speak).  Use wires that are twisted together to prevent this interference.  The area behind the deck is a hot spot for picking up noise, so even short lengths of connecting wire should be twisted, even if they are just the little wires that came attached to the LOC.  These are input signal wires prior to amplification, not speaker wires, and that is why they should be twisted and regular speaker wires from the amp don't need to be.  (Twist + and - around each other.)
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic