icon

Boss REV-3000D Chaos Amplifier

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pervitizm 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2003 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  

If your looking to spend around $350 to 400 bucks, you could go to sounddomain and get either the Lighting audio Storm serier 1000.1D. It's on sale there for about $339.99. You can also get an MTX Thunder 81000D for $399.99. Take your pic, both of these amps are very well built and can give you a good amount of clean power to run those 10's. around 1000-1500 watts.

Here is the link to those amp prices

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/MTX81000D MTX amp

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/LITS11000DCOMBO Lighting Audio

live & die 4 tha luv of BASS!!!!
cerwinvega19 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2003 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
i checked out the mtx and was wondering if mtx specs are in RMS??  I think it said 1500 x 1.  Is that at 2ohms or 1ohms, and is that RMS??
pervitizm 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2003 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  

That 1500 x 1 is at 2ohms and that is RMS power. MTX doesn't recommend running the amp lower than 2 ohms. The only problem I have with this amp is that it doesn't come with a subsonic filter( which is very useful for any subwoofer system that is going to be ported).

cerwinvega19 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2003 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  

so out of the 2 u suggested, what one would be better??  I plan on building a ported box, and getting the DVC 2ohms each coil, (so i will hook them up in series to get 4ohms (each) then parell the two to get 2ohms) so i will need something that is 2 ohm stable.

Thanks

pervitizm 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2003 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  

Right now I'm using the Lighting Storm amp. I'm running it at 1ohm to power my 15 L5(DVC 4ohm ). I have the sub wired parallel to to get 2ohm that way when it I bridge the amp, it will see a 1ohm load. This amp is stable at the load. If you could get a line driver or crossover with a subsonic filter then I would go with the MTX because of the amount of power that you'll get at 2ohm, but since your gonna go with a ported design, then I would go with the Lighting Audio.

I plan on building a ported box, and getting the DVC 2ohms each coil, (so i will hook them up in series to get 4ohms (each) then parell the two to get 2ohms) so i will need something that is 2 ohm stable.

No, you would want an amp that's 1ohm stable if you plan on bridging the amp else if your plan is to run the subs in stereo mode(using all the amp's channels) then you could go with just a 2 ohm stable amp. But the choice is really up to you.

cerwinvega19 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2003 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  

ok, please correct me if i am wrong, but if i have a total of 2 ohm load (my subs) when i hook it up to the amp (lets say the MTX)(Mono amp) wouldent it still be a 2 ohm load on the amp? 

pervitizm 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2003 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  

Yes and no. Even though the amp says 1 channel for digital mono amp, it's still a two channel amp(i.e...meaning that you will have two + and two - channel). The reason for this is for the simple fact that if you have a DVC sub you can easily run it in stereo mode verses mono. So in order to use only one channel of this amp, your gonna have to bridge it. Now when you bridge an amp, it will act as if its getting half of the actual ohm load that you present it with. So if you have a 4ohm load, when you bridge the amp it will act as if its 2ohm instead of the actual 4, resulting in more power. Now if you run the load at 2ohm, then with the amp in its bridged state will act as if the load is at 1ohm instead of 2ohm. The reason why I went against the is because MTX states that this amp is only stable at 2ohm nothing lower, but the Lighting audio is stable down to 1ohm. 

pervitizm 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2003 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  

The answer to that question it both yes and no. Even though the amp says 1 channel for digital mono amp, it's still a two channel amp(i.e...meaning that you will have two + and two - channel). The reason for this is for the simple fact that if you have a DVC sub you can easily run it in stereo mode verses mono. So in order to use only one channel of this amp, your gonna have to bridge it.

YES: 

If you use all the channels of the amp (both + and - channels)in a stereo configuration then yes the amp will see the sub's 2ohm load as a 2ohm load.

NO:

Now when you bridge an amp, it will act as if its getting half of the actual ohm load that you present it with. So if you have a 4ohm load, when you bridge the amp it will act as if its 2ohm instead of the actual 4, resulting in more power. Now if you run the load at 2ohm, then with the amp in its bridged state will act as if the load is at 1ohm instead of 2ohm.

The reason why I went against the is because MTX states that this amp is only stable at 2ohm nothing lower, but the Lighting audio is stable down to 1ohm. 

I hope I cleared it up for you.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2003 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
Nope...  This is a monoblock amplifier...  it is ONE CHANNEL only;  I checked it out before I opened my mouth.  The MTX website is really easy to find.  Here is the website, directly to tha amp's spec page.   http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/products/amplifiers/thunder81000d.cfm   You will be able to D/L the owners manual for the Thunder amps right from this page.  You cannot bridge a one channel amp.  Whatever you have as far as woofer load, that is what the amp is gonna see, whether there is one set of terminals or fifty...  all of the output terminals have exactly the same output information on them, there cannot be a right and/or left.  It will be up to the installer to determine how the speakers are connected (series, series-parallel, or parallel) to maintain a safe load.  If you have two 4 ohm woofers, wire one to each set of terminals, the amp CHANNEL will see 2 ohms.  If they are DVC, and they are 4 ohm voice coils, and you have two of them, you will need to go with a different amp, as your load will be to much (1 ohm), or not enough to get the power out of the amp (4 ohms).  You have already stated that you are going to go with the dual 2 ohm voice coils, wired in series, and then parallel the woofers...  this will be a safe load for this amp.  If you don't believe me, check this link.   http://www.lightningaudio.com/  and look for the wiring wizard.  Here is also a page that will allow you to compare all of the digital amps available in the MTX line.   http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/products/amplifiers/compareClassD.cfm , and you will notice that there is nothing said about bridging these amps...  In fact, the bridged specifications are painfully, obviously, ABSENT from this listing.  Hmmm, I wonder if MTX knows a little bit more about their amps than Mr. live & die 4 tha luv of BASS!!!!.  Because they are MONOBLOCKS.  A little research never hurt anybody.  Use the MTX amp...  good product for not a ton of cash, and you will probably love it!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
cerwinvega19 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2003 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
thanks, you all have been really helpfull, and i think i will go with the MTX.Boss REV-3000D Chaos Amplifier  - Page 2 -- posted image.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic