the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

when do amps give full power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 24, 2006 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  

aznboi3644 wrote:
Well...someone needs to make a sticky on how to measure an amplifiers rms output...I got a nice DMM for my birthday and wanna set my gain correctly...most of the threads here just tell people to use a DMM and a sine wave...nothing about the details and what to use and look for and how to really do it

You've made a couple of points here that are not one and the same thing.  One, measuring an amplifier's output requires more than just a DMM, which Steven Kephart talked about earlier in this thread.  But setting gains is another story.  A DMM can be useful, but your hearing is the key...that is to say, by using a DMM to set gain you would be relying on published ratings, whereas when you listen for the start of the clipped tone you can't go wrong.  Sine wave test tones are a must in all cases, and they should be of professional quality and recorded at 0 db. 

We have several outstanding contributors on this forum who could put together a how-to on setting gain.  What becomes stickied is up to the admin and moderators, but I, for one, would love to see a post that we can point to as an authoritive treatment on the subject of setting gain.  Until then, it's the same ol' "search for gain".

I talked about this here, too.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 24, 2006 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
Well...I've found on www.realmofexcursion.com they have sine waves and test tones I can download...but not sure if they are recorded at 0 db...any input on this sites test tones???
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2006 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  

realmofexcursion=good, but not the best choice unless you can't get a hold of tones on CD. Most tones DLed from the internet is in MP3 format and loses some harmonics in the tones, so it may not be a pure tone. It's close enough to use, but for precision and to keep the tones as clean as IASCA, it's best to get a CD.

If you have a DMM with oscilloscope abilities, play your music at the level you usually like to hear it. Without changing the volume, put the tone in your head unit and meter the output. What you will see is a sine wave on the screen. Increase the gain bit by bit until you see a flat section on the scope. Back down on the gain until the flat area is gone. Then go next in line (line driver, amps etc) until you get to your speakers. You're gain set.

Tip: Disconnect your speakers after you get your sound to where you like to hear it. Then set the gains.

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 24, 2006 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
Inductance in any wire goes down as frequency goes up (it's generally a logarithmic rate of change, not linear.) The amount of change is generally so small within the audio frequency band that it can be considered constant, however.
That makes sense considering frequency is logarithmic.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 24, 2006 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  
It's been last years precal since I've dealt with logarithms...lol...taking precal again this year...sucks
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic