icon

capacitor?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2006 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
If you upgrade the alternator, battery and big three to what you need... how is a cap even needed?
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 26, 2006 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
But hell...they look really cool and the the salepeople always tell you that caps give you the "power" your amp needs when the bass hits hard right???
But where does this "power" come from??? Ah yes the alternator...but still...they look cool with their digital voltage readouts.
lol
gcorrea 
Silver - Posts: 436
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2006 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
well the cap i have already just laying around the garage. the reason i asked about placing it in the engine bay is because i have no more space to place it behind the rear seat of a king cab truck. all the amps and cross over take most of it up. i dont even remember how i came across the cap. but thought i might ask since ive never used one and i actually considered selling it to a friend.
gcorrea
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2006 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  

I suspect that caps get such scorn is because what they do isn't readily apparent to the ear. Even in a vehicle with 'the big three' upgrades, you can still get a significant voltage drop from alternator charging voltage to battery voltage when the amp momentarily draws more power during bass hits. Even if the alternator isn't charging at max output, the alternator isn't fast enough to catch the increased load on the system, so voltage will drop. The cap helps to slow down the voltage drop. It starts working as soon as the voltage starts to drop; a battery doesn't do anything till around 12v. The cap is designed to slow the decrease from 14v to 12v.

When I read about someone who had dimming headlights, installed a cap, now the headlights don't dim anymore - isn't that a fix?.. Not to some people. You hear about how caps increase the load on the charging system.. does that make any sense? I've yet to have someone explain it; I've had people say things, but I've yet to have someone really explain it with electronics/electrical theory included.

I believe caps do what they are intended to do. Will caps make an audible difference?.. probably not. Will they make a measureable difference?.. yes, but it depends on how and what you measure. I suspect that's the problem.. people expect more than they should from them.

Just my thoughts..

Jim

Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2006 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  

That is a good point, Jim. Though much cannot be blamed on consumers that think the cap can do more than it is meant to. Much of that blame has to go to the manufacturers. Their advertising makes it sound like "Are your lights dimming when you crank your car stereo? Get our cap and you won't have to worry about that anymore!!!". And that's plain BS! They, and soooo many shops (not all, mind you) are pushing them as the thing that will save your electrical system. That is where the problem starts. You get Joe customer walking in knowing only enough to be dangerous, and they get caught up in the hype thinking the cap does everything except what it was meant to do because it's a sale, it's money in their pocket.

*flakman steps down from his soapbox*

The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2006 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you Mad, nouse, and Flak. I had no way on figuring out how to say that.

Thanks again!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic