icon

xm radio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jmyinc 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2002 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  

Hey, just wondering if anyone here has xm radio. Is it worth paying 10 bucks a month for. Are the stations good. I like modern rock and rap (linkin park, ludacris, outkast etc) Just want to know wether to shell out 250 bucks for xm or 350 for a kickass mp3 player and have to always burn cds.

Thanks

-Morgan
Static Revenger 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2002 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
I don't personally have XM but I do have it at work for demo use and it is pretty good,I'd say it's about 80-85% commercial free and 100% unedited,and the best part is that you can listen to the same station from coast to coast if you every travel. A plus side is that several of the head units also have XM & MP3 capability .xm radio -- posted image.
xm radio -- posted image.
SPLoser 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2002 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  
I have a xm ready MP3 player and have been contemplating getting too.  So you say it's worth it?
Anything worth listening to should be played LOUD!
xm radio -- posted image.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2002 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  

HI Morgan, I'm waiting for the tuner to add to my MP3 player and will definitely try it. 100 channels, 36 commercial free, and at least a dozen that play the type of music you like. If you do any/many road trips, like Static Revenger said, you can listen to the same station from coast to coast.

the12volt

HotRod53F100 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2002 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  

Hi Morgan,

I personally don't have one, but my brother does...he loves it! He also bought the extra kit that allows you to bring it inside with you. The sound is CD quality, and the selection is great. He does a lot of traveling and really gets his use out of it. His only concern is the shark-fin antenna kinda gives would-be crooks a hint that you have one in the vehicle.

HotRod
Sinister Cat 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2002 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  
I have an Alpine CDA-7878 which has MP3 and XM capability. I got the Alpine TUA-T020XM tuner module as well and have had it on for about 2 weeks. Its very nice. Most channels are commercial and talk free so its just music and they have a nice mix. You can compare it to say cable vs. digital cable for your home. You get tons of channels and some are worth it, but some you may not think so. Overall, I think the 10 a month is worth it. Its nicer then having to swap out MP3 CD's once you roll through one. Paired up I think its an unbeatable combo. As far as the Antenna goes, its not all that big of an antenna, Ill soon have a picture to example, but if you go to  http://www.terk.com/cellular/product/sr1sr2.html  the SR2 is what I have. Its low profile and even if a would be thief stole your unit, each unit has an ID number required for activation, if you called XM and told them to cancel your subscription to that unit because it was stolen, if the thief was dumb enough to try and activate it they could nail him or her. Only drawback for me was the 7878 was $899 and the tuner module was $299 so I paid a bit more to have it integrated into the head unit. I saw that add-on Sony one with everything for about $250 and its removable so you can take it in the house too. I believe that would be a better value to anyone with an existing non-XM system installed.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2002 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  

Here's two tech tips for Terk's XM antennas.

SR1 (2.2MB)   https://www.the12volt.com/downloads/file.asp?ID=211

SR2 (1MB) https://www.the12volt.com/downloads/file.asp?ID=216

the12volt

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic