icon

Kicker pod estimation?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hex0rz 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2006 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  

Hows it going guys? I want to do fiberglass kicker panels next for my sound system. Problem is, I don't really have a good idea on how much fiberglass I should buy. I plan on only putting the 6 1/2's in, and tweeters on the sides of my dash. So it should be pretty simple. Just also wonder how thick it should be?

1/4" good enough? And really, a kicker pod has a range of how much I need. But I would say its a small margin. So don't be afraid to over compensate a little. I was thinking of 30sq. feet? And how plausible would it be to use fiberglass instead of fleece for the front?

Vehicle: Mazda B2200 1989 X-Cab
Audio System:
1. (2) MTX TA3401
2. (2) MTX Thunder 7500
3. (1) MTX TA3202
4. Eclipse Fujitsuten SC8264 Component series
5. Pioneer Premier DEH-P770MP
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2006 at 2:43 AM / IP Logged  
Your question is a little difficult to understand so I will try my best. First off for basic speaker pods like you are wanting to build you don't actually need to buy "square feet" of fiberglass. The way I would do it is as follows, and is simple. Cut rings out of wood, MDF or high quality marine grade plywood will do fine although I have even used ABS plastic rings with great results. Use cardboard to make a temple for the back of the structure. Transfer that to wood. Use small wood strips to mount the rings to and cut them so the rings will angle the speakers where you want the sound for best staging. I use hot glue to hold everything together and sometimes staples/screws for added support but it's temporary...the real strength is when you resin/glass it. Now wrap the strutcure with fleece which you can purchase cheap at any fabric store and staple it where it needs to be to conform to the shape you want and to the back nice and tight.. although not as strong I have used old tee shirts instead of fleece with perfect results. areas that will be weakest will need to be reinforced with fiberglass matting. For such a small job as this you can pobably get away with one or two at the most small fiberglass body repair kits from an auto parts store. They come with a small can of resin, hardner, a mixing stick, a small "tub" to mix in and plenty of fiberglass matting. All you need is some rubber gloves and your good to go. enjoy the smell, I love it but too much and you might start hallucinating or  pass out so do it outside or well ventilated. have Fun
integratyper934 
Copper - Posts: 150
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2006 at 3:00 AM / IP Logged  
you shouldnt put 61/2 's in the kick anyway.........
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2006 at 3:55 AM / IP Logged  

integratyper934 wrote:
you shouldnt put 61/2 's in the kick anyway.........

why?

integratyper934 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2006 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  

you should do 3 ways mid bass in door and 4 in and tweet in kick.

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2006 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  

Ok agreed integra. but perhaps the vehicle has no place in the doors and he doesn't want to modify. However no info was given.

I have done it either way and I can say that 6.5'' in the kicks can sound pretty darn good if done correctly.

But your point is taken.

integratyper934 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2006 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
not too mention the pod will be huger the crap!
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2006 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  

Yes they are huge. In a small vehicle if you want to aim it right, it takes up half or more of the floor space. But no price too high for sound quailty, right?

Once in a 90 something camaro I actually installed 8's into the floorboards. I had to move the exhaust system and cut the floors out, then weld in enclosures from underneath the car (this shop had a lift thank goodness)

We also made kicks with 5.25'' components.

The original door speaker locations housed the crossovers "under glass" and back lit.

Did a ton more to it to, I think it took 6th or 7th place at the usac finals but this was a long time ago so I can't remember.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic