the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

factory stereo to rca adaptor

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  
High quality aftermarket headunits: nakamichi, eclipse, alpine (to name a few)
I ran Infinity Kappa 5x7's in my Explorer and they were awesome (although they were powered at 80 watts per speaker).
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 2:51 AM / IP Logged  
yeah the ford pickups are not that great for sound, especially in the rear. The speakers are in a horrible position and not really baffeled at all, unless you call screwed to a piece of sheet metel a baffle. If you are going to use the bass setup you have the best thing I can  suggest is get some power to your front and rears, a good clean 4 channel. A new deck will also make a huge improvment, like cva said buy a name brand deck, they all have about the same power but if you add an amps it won't matter. the more you pay is for bells and whistles, motorized face, etc so if you don't care about that why pay for it. However you should make sure the new deck has front, rear and sub preouts. An aux in is nice as well as satellite ready or ipod ready if you are an mp3 type. many decks these days can do both.. A new deck, the infinitys, clean power and the bass you have already should make a day and night difference. If you don't want to do the 4ch. amp yet the deck and speaker swap alone will help but I know from experience that power really helps with the shortcommings of the poor design of the factory setup.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 2:52 AM / IP Logged  
oops I forgot to paragraph, my bad.
wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  
I have an Alpine CDA-7995 headunit. It has no internal amp and therefore no high level outputs. The HU requires external amps for all speakers (using RCA pre-outs for front, rear, and sub).
The benefit, a nice clean low level signal going to the amps.
The detriment, you need more than just a sub amp *laughing* More power draw from the amps since you run at least 2 if you set the system up correctly. So it helps if you beef up the alternator as well.
I also have the Alpine adapter that allows me to directly connect my iRiver MP3 player into the headunit via a phono-to-RCA connection. It's crystal clear, and awesome having 20GB worth of music at the push of a button.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  
Oh cool, your right on the money. you don't need my help anymore. Enjoy the system and the hell with LOC's, seems you are an sq person buying an expensive deck like that. why did you even bother with any of the factory junk to begin with? Also you said it was an F-250 right? That has a decent alternator, I wouldn't worry about running a sub amp and 4 channel unless you are doing serious, serious power. If so, do a little ohms law or check for voltage drop at the amps and upgrade if needed , but I doubt it, I never had to on f250's just for 2 amps (well reasonable, I am not talking about 5000 watts here, under 500w RMS, not what the amp has printed on its cover)
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
oops, sorry squirrel, i though you were the original post, the guy with the line out converters, haha, I know you got it goin on. but I tried to give you good advice anyway...peace
wvsquirrel 
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
*laughing* Now you see why I don't deal with LOC's. I like a good combination of SQ and SPL, so I design my systems with mid to high quality equipment and adajustability/adaptability. You need to start with a good headunit if you want to get it right. Just my opinion. You just can't seem to get that with factory systems *laughing*
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  

we are in agreement there. Factory decks with loc's should be for people who just want to add some "oomf" to thier stock system or for vehicles where deck swaps are too expensive or where  extensive modifications are required and the customer is not willing. Like I stated, I have gotten LOC's to make factory decks sound pretty good, well good enough for the average listener but a factory deck/system will never have the fidelity or flexibility of a properly designed aftermarket.

take it light buddy

cva me 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2006 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks master5, squirrel, and to all the other guys that helped me with this. Looks like im in the market for a new deck. i'll take my time cause there is alot to choose from. Looking for good power,SQ,CD,MP3- storage/player thingy "so my kids will think im cool" with good security features. I havent heard much talk about Kenwood decks? Are they not as good as they used to be. Thanks again everybody you guys are the best
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2006 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  

hey cva, good to see you again. You are opening a potential can of worms by asking anyone here to reccomend a product based on brand name, or anywhere else for that matter. I use about 8 different name brand head units and all serve thier purpose. Depends alot on the customers tastes and needs.

As far as kenwoods not being good as they used to be I find that to be the case with most brands these days, they just are not the same, probably due to all the overseas farming. However, reliability is up in most cases unless you get a lemon and the kenwood decks (in my opinion) are one of the best sounding out of the box compared to others.

But since it appears you are using amps simply pick a unit in your price range that has the features you require. In addition, I would also base your selection on what is pleasing to your eye as you have to live with that everyday and if you can't stand something that looks wrong in your dash you will eventually regret the purchase.

Best of luck.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic