the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

wiring 4 channel audiobahn amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
As for the quality of Audiobahn amps, I've always been told that they are solid. They like to add a lot of bling-bling and flash, which is kinda why they get a cheaper reputation. I don't like their subs, and would agree that their sub line is not of the highest quality. But when it comes to their amps I would have to say it's the opposite. Run a search in this forum and look back at some of the older posts from 2002/2003.
I admit that I'm not a fan of Audiobahn and would never own one myself, but unless their ratings have fallen off severly from a few years ago they are still decent.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
bchoi414 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2006 at 3:10 AM / IP Logged  
I dont know what else to say...wvsquirrel...you are the best!! Although I do feel pretty stupid, I'm just happy that I have this figured out. I really appreciate your help and others and really respect that no one is "flaming" me about it. Thanks again Squirrel! I do have a output plug along with several wires attached to it...I'll try to figure it out this weekend because my car is currently down because my alternator belt shredded...I'm a mechanics guy but wiring is my worst. Thanks again
bchoi414 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2006 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, sorry but I'm an idiot. I always had the remote input connected but didnt realize that was the name of the connection. I noticed another remote input but found out it was for bass control. So yes I did I have the remote input connected to the receiver. Its connected to a blue wire with white stripe to the receiver. Nevertheless, I am still having trouble getting sound. Man, this is frustrating. Do you think I may have a better outcome if I tried to connect the high input instead of the low-input? I currently have RCAs connected to the low-inputs. Please, if anyone could add some more insight on this and sorry to be a pain
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 15, 2006 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
Test the amp wiring with a multimeter. First measure dc voltage across the amp's power and ground terminals. If you get 12 volts, turn the system on and test for 12 volts from the remote terminal to the amp ground terminal. If you've got voltage there, then the wiring is good.
Ensure your amp is getting a signal through the rca's. If you have a buddy with a system, try swapping amps just to test and see what happens. If the problem stays in your car, chances are you've either got no signal, or a speaker wiring problem. If it goes to your buddy's car, chances are the amp is no good.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2006 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with geepherder.
Doublecheck your wiring with this link for your 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse
You can also test the Remote by disconnecting the current line and running a new line directly from the battery (outside the car).
Another stupid question, what kind of headunit are you using? I ask because some have a way to turn on/off the RCA pre-outs and select the output level.
Also most after-market headunits have a dedicated "remote" line.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
wvsquirrel 
Posted: October 15, 2006 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
Here's the amp manual incase you don't have it:
2004 Audiobahn Intake Series
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 15, 2006 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have a good ground?? Do you have any RCA cables running from the headunit to the amp??
bchoi414 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2006 at 1:29 AM / IP Logged  
Hey everyone,
I managed to get the front speakers to work because I think I wasnt providing enough voltage when testing them. I had the car running, tested it, and got SOUND! Hehe. BUT, the rear speakers were not working. I checked my connection and it all looked good. So instead, I tried swapping the front speakers to other channels and notice that channels 3&4 are not responsive. Channels 1 & 2 seem to be fine, but when testing ch. 3 & 4 with the front speakers its not working. I just read my manual a couple minutes ago and realized that the chrome plated connectors only accept 16 to 8 ga. wires. I am currently using 18 ga. But I dont see how the fronts work but the rear doesnt. I will change wires as soon as I can but what are the disadvantages of running improper wires?
I will test the amp like you guys said for proper wiring, and keep you updated on my progress...thanks again everyone
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 16, 2006 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  
With the system shut down, try swapping the rca inputs at the amplifier. Now power up and see if the sound moves over to channels 3 and 4. If it does, check all your sound settings in the manual to make sure you didn't miss anything. Also double check your connections behind the deck (make sure the rca's are plugged into the right slots, not deck inputs, etc.). If that all checks good, swap the rca's again, this time behind the deck. That way you'll know whether you have a bad rca cable or not (maybe it got a cut or pinch somewhere, or maybe it's just a defect).
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
bchoi414 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
No, actually I dont think I am using 4 ch rcas. I did actually try switching the rca inputs and did not get any sound after. My deck only has two inputs while my amp has 4. Do they sell 2-4 rca cables or possibly adapters so that I wouldnt have to pull all the wires out?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic