icon

4 gauge power cable,strands amount difere

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Dan M C. 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2002 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged  
4 gauge power cable,strands amount difere -- posted image.Hello everybody,the other day i came across some of my older Phoenix Gold 4 gauge power cables that i planed to use in my BMW and i compared to the new Phoenix Gold and the diference is HUGE,same company years apart product.The diference noticed is this: Positive red that i had was bought about 5 years ago and is Phoenix Gold High Current "DC"4 gauge Inner Flow and at the end where was cut was very dark in apearance,very tarnishy  in look ,that tells me that no "oxygen free"there !,secondly the strands look huge and thick,i thought they were suposed to be fine like hair strands...far from !,and here is where i spoted the unbelieveble diference,i had to buy some 4 gauge for my ground so i thought since i already have some "older" PG so i picked up some of theirs ZERO POINT 4 gauge clear jacket,hi energy core powerflow (i also noticed that the prices went UUUPPPP!),no big deal right,until i decided to clean cut some new and put it besides my older PG and wow i was blown away,the Zero Point has a lot more strands,and i mean a lot more (same 4 gauge mind you!) and they are so much finer maybe twice as smaller than the older PG power cable,my question is there any other company out there that has power cable with the most strands for the same gauge,and i don't want something that "corodes/tarnishes in just a few years",can anybody out there answer to this huge dilema of mine,so what can you recomend or sugest ,i want the best period,Thank you very much !!!4 gauge power cable,strands amount difere -- posted image.
NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2002 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  
I'm not sure who has the highest thread counts right now - most of the top guys (RF,PG, Stinger etc.) are goign to have great stuff. The tarnish you saw is actually to be expected. That's why it was "oxygen free" to start. It had 0 oxygen on the jacket, which keeps it from getting hard and dark and tarnished after a few years, but only inside the jacket. The end syou have stripped will usually tarnish, especially if it's good quality copper. I think that any of the really high end stuff from just about anyone, wire-wise, is goignt o be great. The fasteners, I go for particular types and build quality, but with wire, I usually just look for a decent price. If you want the best, you're going to pay a pretty penny for it.
/NyxBass
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2002 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
Check out Knu Konceptz they have a higher count than any other brand out their. You can reach them at http://knukonceptz.com . Their cables are very high quality and the prices are reasonable
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 20, 2002 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Dan,

You asked if wire count was important.....sure is!  Gauge is the cross sectional diameter of the wire so a 4awg of 1000 strands would have the same diameter as a 4awg 3000 strands the difference being the current carrying capabilities.  For example if a highway is one mile across but is made up of two lanes 3/4 miles apart, it won't handle as much traffic as one that is one mile across with a hundred lanes.  So the smaller the strands the less loss in air space the greater the capacity.  Smaller strands also make the cable more flexible.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
CTMobileMedia 
Copper - Posts: 43
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2002 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  

Also, current (electrons) tend to flow on the outside of any given conductor, such as a wire strand. The more strands you have, the more surface area on the outside and thus more current flow. This is the primary reason for increasing the strand count in a wire. A 4 gauge/2000 strand will flow more than a 4 gauge/1000 strand simply because of the greater total surface area of it's strands.

Dave

CT Mobile Media

Dan M C. 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2002 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you all regarding wire gauge !!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic