icon

Pioneer manufacturing defect

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 21, 2006 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  

Did you try grounding the outer part of your RCA cables?

Reeceddogg 
Copper - Posts: 329
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2006 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
not yet. i'm going to do that tomorrow. when you say outter part, what part of the cable are you refering to?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 21, 2006 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  

the shiny metal part you can see when the cable is plugged into your radio or your amp.

you can take a short length of wire ground one end to ground and strip a few inches off the other end  then wrap the wire around the patch cord and twist it like a bread tie     if this fixes your problem let me know and I can tell you how to repair the unit

Reeceddogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2006 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
That sounds like a good idea. I'm going to do that in the morning.
Reeceddogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2006 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
I did that and it didn't work. I did ground the chasis of the radio and the popping comming from the subs was very minimal. Any thoughts on that.
BulletTooth 
Copper - Posts: 122
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2006 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
Don't ground the chassis of the radio, you have to ground the outer part of the RCA cable. You it's a coax, so you have the inner and the outer cable which look like this (o) ground the outer part works 99% of the time for me.
Reeceddogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2006 at 1:24 AM / IP Logged  
Why not ground the radio? It made the feedback almost not noticable. I did the rca ground and it didn't work.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2006 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  

Reeceddogg wrote:
Why not ground the radio? It made the feedback almost not noticable. I did the rca ground and it didn't work.

No reason.  If it helped, leave it.  Pioneer heads are notorious for this defect.  I'd replace it if it was me... with a different brand.

Support the12volt.com
Reeceddogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2006 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  
I'm not up to date on eclipse but i've heard great things. Which one should i look into around the 300-400 price range
midship93 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  

I am writing in response to i am an idiot's post regarding grounding the rca cables.   I have a Pioneer DEH-P4600MP head unit... I have never had a problem with it until I recently tried installing it in my MR2.  I think what happened was... My ground on my amp came loose because I didn't crimp the ring terminal to the ground wire good.  Lesson learned... Always solder your connections.  Anyway, I am in car stereo feedback, buzzing, whining, popping (you name it) hell.... I have regrounded and re-routed every wire in every possible way you can imagine.

Anyway, to the point... I finally read the post about grounding the rca cables... I would've never thought of doing that.  But, out of desperation, I tried it and I couldn't believe it actually worked.  Thanks for getting me somewhere.  I was beginning to give up.  Well.. about 90%  of it is gone.  I can only here a slight buzz when the volume is off and it goes away as soon as I turn the volume up.

Now to the question.... am I screwed and have to buy a new headunit or can I fix this sucka?  You said something about a 1/4 amp fuse? can it be replaced or bi-passed?   Or do I have to solder 4 ground wires to each coax shield?  This sounds like an ugly band-aid.

Anyway thanks for any additional info.... and thanks for getting me to this point.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic