icon

2002 Camry Starter Wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nadeemr 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2006 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
I am installing an Audiovox APS 997 in my 2002 camry SE 4 cyl with factory keyless entry. Some of the the websites list  two starter wires for this car BLACK/ White and BLACK / YELLOW. The remote starter have only one starter wire. Should I connect the remote starter wire to both wires? Which one of these two do I need to cut for my starter Kill relay? Also, any installation tips are welcomed, such as best location to mount the module, recommended place to pass wires thru firewall, etc.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 22, 2006 at 1:39 AM / IP Logged  
The Camry can be very easy, depending on where you get the wires.
First to answer your question about the starter wires.
The car DOES have two starter wires; a thick BLACK/ white and a thin BLACK / YELLOW.
The right way to do it: Wire up the thick BLACK/ white according to the instructions, including the starter kill relay. Again, according to the instructions, use the small Audiovox BLACK / YELLOW "pulse during crank" to trigger a relay, to trigger the Toyota BLACK / YELLOW second-start wire. (You wouldn't have to cut the BLACK / YELLOW; cutting the thick one is sufficient for starter kill.)
The wrong, but faster way to do it: Cut both the BLACK/ white AND the BLACK / YELLOW, jump them together at each end, and connect them up according to the instructions, but pretending that you only have one starter wire.
Other tips:
---Plug at the bottom of the fuse box: green parking lights, GREEN / WHITE brake, GREEN/ black horn.
--Gray plug to the right of the steering column.   Two ORANGE / black wires. The one closer to the middle is tach.
---For the doorlocks, if you look in the driver's kick panel and observe how the wires are going, you can clearly see which ones are coming in from the driver's door...........but, the lower plug toward the front of the car has the blue / YELLOW lock..........upper/front plug has the blue unlock.
Just connect the Audiovox green unlock wire..........don't worry about the RED / black second unlock.........when you press Audiovox unlock once, you'll get just the driver's door; when you press again, all doors will unlock.
---Also in the kick panel, in the lower plug toward the rear, is a small green trunk-pinswitch wire, as well as the thick WHITE/ blue trunk-release wire...........connec the trunk release as 5-wire with a relay; read the Relays section here for instructions.
---In the ignition harness is a very thin, GREEN/ red......... negative-pulse door trigger.......it's the wire that goes to the illumination ring around the keyhole.......there's your door trigger.
---Above the gas pedal, there's a thick rubber grommet for the factory wires; you can poke through the side of it with a coat hanger for your hoodpin and siren wires.
nadeemr 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2006 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks Chris

You answered all my questions. The audiovox manual recommends to use a separate 15A circuit for parking lights. Plus I have to provide power for 3-4 relays. I was thinking to run 3 separate wires from the battery. Two #10 for starter and one #14 fused at 15A for parking lights, 3-4 relays (trunk, starter kill, second starter wire, etc). But going thru firewall doesnot seem that easy. If I poke into existing grommet, I'll try to keep the number of wires to a minimum (one for hood pin and second for siren). I know there are two wires at iginition harness that I can use for my starter 12V. Any suggestions where to connect the 12v for the parking lights and all these relays.

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2006 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  

That's just not nessessary. The power at the ignition harness is plenty to run everything. The parking lights don't use nearly 15 amps. I've done easily a thousand of these cars, you won't have an issue with power as long as you get it from the thicker WHITE/ red 30amp and not the smaller white 5 amp.

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 22, 2006 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah, no need to run wire to the battery.... that not only wastes a lot of time, but introduces another failure point.
If you don't believe you will be easily able to run wires through the firewall, you could always just live with the on/off control switch instead of the hoodpin, and horn-honk instead of siren.
By the way, the starter kill relay should never be receiving constant-battery power anyway.......if you do that the car's battery would go dead if you parked the car for more than a day or two.....be sure to wire it up to ignition power, according to the manual.
Even though the 30-amp feed at the ignition switch is more than sufficient for everything, if you have concerns about current draw, you could always get the low-current, negative-trigger parking lights at the steering column harness.
nadeemr 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2006 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the answers. You guys are really helpfull. Can you explain a little bit more on negative trigger parking lights. Audiovox system has two wires for paking lights. If I connect the first one to the negative-trigger paking light wire at the steering column and the second wire to the ground, Do you think it should work fine? All the postive parking light wires I found in the car are way too thin and I don't feel comfortable backfeeding thru any of those wires.
tbone587 
Copper - Posts: 167
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2006 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
damn chris, u really know your alarms.  What year camrys will that wiring info pertain to, im writing this info down for the next time i do a camry - it will help to do an extra clean install.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2006 at 6:19 AM / IP Logged  

nadeemr wrote:
Thanks for all the answers. You guys are really helpfull. Can you explain a little bit more on negative trigger parking lights. Audiovox system has two wires for paking lights. If I connect the first one to the negative-trigger paking light wire at the steering column and the second wire to the ground, Do you think it should work fine? All the postive parking light wires I found in the car are way too thin and I don't feel comfortable backfeeding thru any of those wires.

That's exactly correct. The Avox will have either two white wires or one white and one WHITE/ red. Ground the WHITE/ red or one of the whites and connect the other white to the red in the column harness. Chris's info works on any Camry from 02 to 06(thanks for the info, the tach location is a new one on me....).

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic