icon

finishing fiberglass box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
messiah9966 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2003 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
I know the general idea behind fiberglass box building, however, i have always ended up finishing the box in vinyl or other materials.  What i would like to do is put a nice smooth paint job on the box for a change.  The problem is i don't know how to go about getting that nice smooth painted finish on the box.  What materials do you use for finishing, sanding, filling, sealing, etc?  Is there a certain paint technique used to get that high gloss finish? Just looking for some answers.
r. clark
Nick Johnson 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2003 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

R. Clark,

When I built my own fiberglass enclosure I wanted to paint it also.  I finished the exterior using Bondo body filler.  The worst part is all that sanding, were a dust mask!  To get a smooth enough surface to paint on you will need to wet sand the areas that will be painted with 600 grit sandpaper.  (I asked a buddy of mine that paints cars for a living and he was right.)  Once you've wet sanded your project, go over it with an eagle eye and get rid of any and all pin holes and unevan surfaces!  The surface will have a shinyness to it once you've sanded it.

As far as painting goes, my buddy painted my box for $30.00.  If you or anyone in your family knows someone who paints cars try asking them.  You have to be really bad at painting to screw up a sub box!  If you've ever used a paint gun and compressor you might be able to pick-up some left over paint from an autobody shop and paint your own box.  See, after body shops paint a car, the paint left over can't be thrown away in the trash(hazardouse materials), so they would rather sell it than have to pay to have it hauled off.

Hope this helps!

Nick (Dynamic)

Nick Johnson
messiah9966 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2003 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks a bunch Nick,

But after bondoing and sanding, do you have to use some type of sealer over the bondo to keep the paint from soaking in?

R. Clark

r. clark
Nick Johnson 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2003 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  

No sealer was necessary on my box.  The only thing that I applied before having it painted was a couple of coates of primer that I wet sanded with the 600 grit sandpaper.  I've never had any problem with bondo soaking up paint as long as there was primer between the two.  So, after sanding the bondo down reletivly smooth using 400 grit sandpaper, apply a couple coates of primer.  Once the primer dries then wet sand the surface with 600 grit paper. 

Good Luck

Nick (Dynamic)

Nick Johnson
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2003 at 6:05 AM / IP Logged  

"The worst part is all that sanding, were a dust mask! "

i don't know the shape and design of you box so i cant give a lot of advice, but the one thing i can tell you is that you should use a polyester primer to cut down on the sanding.....you can go through and sand the fleece, or polyester trunk liner with an 80 grit paper and then if you have any big dips, you can fill them with the bodyfiller.....if you use a high grade filler like rage gold by evercoat you will get less shrinking in the small holes and not get pin holes...also by using the featherfill (polyester primer) next, you will have very few pinholes ..i recommend you use a product called icing to fill the pin holes in.  it is like a runny bodyfiller...its for finishing...it doesnt shrink either, and sands really easy as well...........installguy509

messiah9966 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2003 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  
thanks for the advice installguy, all this is helping alot!
r. clark
audiomechanic 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2003 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
what type of box are you making, what make and model car do you have and how far along are you ?????
messiah9966 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2003 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  
I am not working on any particular project right now, but i would imagine the same techniques can be applied regardless of the vehicle make and type of box. At least now i have an idea how to go about putting a nice finished paint job on a box.
r. clark
audiomechanic 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2003 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
you run into an issue with runs in the clear coat or dust in it, what you need to do is wheel it out .....there are a bunch of different types of products that you can use i like the 3m or meguires stuff the best.....the key that i have used to get a really deep and glossy finish is to sand the clear with about a 1500 or 2000 grit and buff it ...i like to use multiple layers of clear to kinda give it a deeper look. and don't get me wrong ...i am not the best painter in the world, it seems like everytime i paint i get a new problem to fix....its not fun but if you wanna learn how you have to make mistakes, I am just relaying info that has worked for me in the past and what others have told me to help me out in the learning process .....installguy509
messiah9966 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2003 at 11:59 PM / IP Logged  
every little bit of info helps  Thanks installguy509
r. clark

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic