icon

2003 Envoy Trailblazer wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bobzalewski 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2003 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  

I'm installing a Crimestopper CS2011 RS III alarm/remote start into my Envoy. I'm having some trouble locating two wires. I also have the GMDL1 and the PLDATA.

1- Gray/Black - courtesy light under the dash. The wire sheet says that there should be a light under the dash. I don't see one. any thoughts on where I can get this input.

2- Parklights- should be in large harness directly below column. There is a harness with about 70+ wires crossing under the coluum. It has two brown wires a then (18 or 20 ga.) and a thicker one (14 ga or so). I'm assuming it's the thicker one. How can I test it? Do I use a meter to check for positive volts when the parling lights are on?

Thanks, Bob

bob
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 24, 2003 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  

1-  I'm really surprised that any of these cars come without an underdash courtesty light.  But anyway, you should be able to use the same wire at the domelight.  I'll bet if you remove the A-pillar by the driver's side of the windshield, you'll find a harness of wires running up to the roof.  Domelight wire should be in there.

2-  I've always gotten negative parking lights gray/black, right at the switch......does your unit only have a positive parking light output?  If so, you'll need to find the positive brown wire you're talking about.  I'd probably just go to the driver's kick panel and look for the harness running to the rear of the car....should be able to get brake wire in there too.  But if you've already found a thick brown wire, go ahead and test it.

And yes, use your meter to check for positive voltage when the parking lights are on.  Also, move the dash dimmer up and down, and make sure the voltage still stays the same------you want to make sure that it's true parking lights, not the wire coming from the dash dimmer.  And I hope you haven't connected to any of the other wires in the car without testing them first?

zerordawg 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2003 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  

The envoy should be the same as a trailblazer...which i just got done doing 270 of them in december.....your parking light wire should be located in the bundle of wires located under the steering column...it is the largest coarse texture brown wire of three (use a meter to make sure you have it..one is a data line and another operates the blower on the heater)

Unfortunately the only way we found the doorpin wires was in the driver's and passenger doors and in the "B" Pillars

Driver's Door  - Gray wire

Passenger's Door - Black w/ White stripe

Driver's Side B Pillar - Blue w/ Black stripe

Passenger's B Pillar - Green w/ Black stripe

Rear Hatch - Light Green

Hope this helps.....

MobileMan
bobzalewski 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2003 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the help,

Your help and advice got me working the first try. The only problem was that I wasn't able to find the parking light wire, but that's OK since the Alarm bypass module handled flashing the parking lights for everything, except for when the car was running under remote start.

I ended up using the light over the drivers seat for my courtesy light trigger, it was much easier to get at then I thought it would be..

While I tested most of the wires before the install the two that I wasn't sure how to test with a meter are -

Violet datawire on the ODBII (pin#2)

Tach wire -

Both were right where they should have been. but I would like to test in the future.

Thanks again!

Bob

bob
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 26, 2003 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  

TACH:  Set meter to AC.  Put black end to ground, red end to the wire you suspect is tach.  Start engine.  Depending on the car, the tach wire might be anywhere from 1-7 volts AC, and it may or may not rise as you rev the engine up. 

Also, since the tach wire of the remote starter only "reads" as opposed to putting out any power, I feel pretty safe just hooking it up and trying to program it.  It's not like it's going to shoot power into the car or something.

Analog meter note:  If you're using an analog meter, which generally isn't recommended, it's wise to remember that if you set it to AC, but touch it to a 12VDC source instead......the meter needle will move up a few volts and stay there, which LOOKS like it's AC....... this can cause confusion sometimes.

DATA:  The data wire can't be tested with conventional methods.  Just find it right at the OBDII plug, and connect.  If you browse the install manuals at transponderbypass.com, they recommend making the data wire your LAST connection-----get your unit grounded and powered first.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic