icon

2005 Chevy Express Van Remote Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mrbigal1 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2006 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
I am having remote starter installation problems with the wiring configuration on my 05 Chev Express Van.  I am installing a Valiant RS205 remote starter for which I had to purchase a bypass module.  The wiring diagrams do not match up with my van wiring.  After speaking with  tech support, I got everyting hooked up, but nothing happens when I hit the remote start button.   I have the wiring diagrams from the12volt, also from Bulldog Security, but there is nothing which tells me how to troubleshoot.  I have installed this system successfully on other vehicles.  Thank You.  Al Z 
mrzee
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2006 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  

I am totally unfamiliar with this "valiant" system but what you might want to do is try this.

Put the key in the ignition and then try to remote start. If it starts the problem is with the bypass mod. If it still does not crank you need to check the wiring and to make sude the neutral safty switch wire (if not utilized) is grounded, the hood switch is NOT grounded when the hood is closed, and the brake wire is NOT showing 12v+ when the brake is not depressed.

Also note many RS systems REQUIRE programming (tach etc) before the unit will do anything. Read the instuction manual carefully.

If all is not working after this use a meter to see what is happened with the RS outputs (ign, crank etc)

mrbigal1 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2006 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
Thenk you for that.  I finally got it to crank, but now cannot get a resistance value from black to yellow ignition side.  You see, with all the wiring diagrams that I have, none of them seem to match up; there are many different configurations.  The Valiant remote starter system is made by IC Dynamics, and those are the tech people that I spoke with before.
mrzee
mrbigal1 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2006 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you again.  In addition:  I got the starter to crank.  The reason was I didn't use IGN 1.   I went directly to IGN 2.  Now I'm energizing IGN 1 from unit and IGN 2 thru relay.  The problem I am having is I cannot read the OHM resistance.  I went from small blk to small yellow cut and reading keyside.  I now tried it from tan to small yellow.  Neither wires gives me any resistance reading.  Am I possibly using the wrong wires on vehicle IGN harness?  So far I saw about 4 diagrams showing colors and these colors are not in my harness.  Are there any other wires I should be reading resistance from so I can set all dip switches in by pass module? 

2005 Chevy Express Van

Valiant RS 205 Remote Starter (IC Dynamics)

RE 1 GM bypass kit (IC Dynamics)  from JC Whitney

Passlock II anti-theft security system

Vehicle starts and shuts off immediately and the security lite flashes on dash.  This leads me to believe the resistance is not operating correctly.   From what I understand, the Passlock II anti-theft system shuts off fuel through resistance in key module.   Thank You for any help......

mrzee
CruisinS&S 
Copper - Posts: 225
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2006 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
you have a passlock problem. Im not sure what bypass you are using but you should invest in a DEI 555L. This will learn resistamnce automaticly. Think about it you are trusting this JC whitney unit to get your car started. If it fails the van will not start.
Anyway since this is probably too late:
cut yellow passlock wire (MAKE SURE IT IS THE RIGHT WIRE, IT WILL BE COMING STRAIGHT OFF KEY CYLANDER) Put car in reverse turn key wire metering the resistance between the key side of the yellow wire and the blk wire. This si your resistance.
Side note-if you try to start the van 3 times and it in unsucessful the passlock will lock up. If this happens (or problably happened) you have to leave the key in th ign with the car off for 12-15 minutes for it to reset. Make sure you connect back the yellow wire while it is sitting.
Cruisin Security And Sounds
mrbigal1 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2006 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you Cruisin S & S,  I checked the resistance from the yellow wire key side and went to blk wire.  I didn't get any resistance.  Do you want me to put van in reverse and check this?  I start van with remote and it starts & shuts down instantly and the security lite flashes.  Then I start it with the key to clear up problems.  Why am I not getting resistance reading?  I tried 3 different OHM meters.  Then I tried yellow wire key side to tan wire.  Still no resistance.  I haven't tried 3 times unsuccessfully in a row, so I didn't lock up the passlock II module yet, but thanks for that tip.  Please help, as I am at my wit's end with this problem.....thanks   Cell phone #630/843-2061 feel free to call

Big Al

mrzee
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 18, 2006 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
How and when are you metering the resistance?
(P.S. The better bypass modules measure the resistance all by themselves, but you might as well stick with what you have now.
---Like you have figured, you should be metering the resistance between the yellow (passlock R-code) and black (passlock ground).
---The wires will show the proper resistance ONLY when the key is in the Start position.
(The purpose of putting the gearshift in reverse is simply to prevent the van from actually trying to start.)
---One tip to see if you have the correct yellow wire:   1. Put wire together temporarily. 2. Start van, leave engine running. 3. Break the yellow wire apart again. If the security light comes on, you have the right wire.
mrbigal1 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2006 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  

Chris Luongo, thank you, your last tip is what did the trick.  I had the wrong yellow wire connected.  There was another yellow wire in the harness, but it was yellow and white striped, so I thought it was not the correct wire.  Turns out it was, after I completed the test.  Thanks again, and thanks to everyone else who posted; all the advise helped a great deal.  What a great site this is..........Big Al Z

mrzee
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
Thats good to hear mrbigal1. As Chris stated just make sure those small passlock wires are coming directly off the key cylinder, not just running down the ignition harness because as you found out the hard way, they may use similar colored wires in that harness for other things.
snow dog 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2006 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
I too am having trouble measuring resistance? With car running i seperate the yellow  wire and measure  (from key side)resistance ( ohms ) to the black wire and get 8.84 then reverse the leads and i get 9.06 so i average them and get 8.95 .  but heres the problem ,on the chart that comes with the PASSLOCK bypass ( bought from IC Dynamics) there is nothing even close to this number ? HELP?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic