the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

1999 Toyota Avalon, Alpine with OEM amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jbeletti 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2006 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
Update (10-Dec):
Got the Moto Bluetooth HF working:
Pulled out the brain, unplugged then reseated the harness - viola! Man, this Moto BT unit works very well and sounds great. Phone connects when the car is started. HU audio is interrupted when I make a call or when I am receiving a call. No more missed calls due to music being too loud.
Got the Sirius tuner installed and working (AI-Net):
Wrapped tuner in thin carpet and installed in dash behind and below HU. Temporarily put the antenna on the roof at the edge of the windshield.
Got the Sirius iPod interfaced (KCE-422i) and working:
HU had a dedicated port for the iPod. Used the Alpine interface cable.
Pulled interconnects (driver side):
Shielded stereo audio pair from trunk for CarPC output to the Aux in (via KCI-121B cable) at the Sirius tuner behind the HU in the dash.   Multi-cable for LCD (VGA, audio, video x2 and USB) from trunk to the LCD in dash. And 2 USB extensions (15' passive) from trunk to the center armrest/console area (for trackpad/mouse and flash drive).
Pulled power and power switch cabling (passenger side):
4 gauge red power cable from trunk into cabin and out firewall via existing harness boot to 100 amp breaker to Batt 2 terminal on Sure Power battery isolator. 3 pairs of 14 gauge wire to be used for power switching and LCD panel power from the trunk to the dash behind HU.
Next steps:
  • Fab/install equipment sliding shelf
  • Install antennas (GPS, Cellular and relocate Sirius)
  • Install components (CarPC, PSU, Router/Access Point and breaker panel/power distribution)
  • Wire it all up and test it
Jim
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  

excellent, don't forget to post some more pics when finished.

Good Luck.

jbeletti 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
master5,
Will do.
Yesterday, I fabricated the equipment shelf from 3/4" MDF, 16" full-extension drawer glides and 4" L brackets.
The L brackets will be used to mount the shelf to the underside of the package shelf in the trunk. Due to uneven surfaces (mold stampings etc), I am expecting the bracket mounting under the pacjage shelf to be a bear. Lots of measuring and careful drilling I suspect. I plan to use some #8 short sheet metal screws (2 per bracket x 4 brackets) to fasten the brackets to the package shelf. In the area of contact, there seems to be a shallow hollow space so I'm hoping my plan is solid.
Worst case, I'll screw a piece of MDF (24"x16") to the package shelf, then screw the brackets to the MDF.
Jim
jbeletti 
Posted: December 16, 2006 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
Update (16-Dec):
Fabricated and installed equipment shelf:
Using 3/4" MDF, 16" full extension, ball bearing style drawer glides, 4" L brackets and a lot of nuts, bolts and washers, I fabricated a pull-out shelf for the CarPC. I used #12 self-tapping screws to attach the L brackets to the underside of the package shelf. In the process of making a catch that will keep the shelf locked closed.
Installed GPS (Garmin 18) and Cellular antennas on the trunk lid:
The GPS antenna is a magnetic mount and the Cellular antenna is a no-hole trunk lid mount.
Next steps:
  • Relocate Sirius Antenna to the trunk lid and pull wire to tuner in dash
  • Install components (CarPC, PSU, Router/Access Point, battery & box and breaker panel/power distribution)
  • Wire it all up and test it
Jim
jbeletti 
Posted: December 16, 2006 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  

Nice to see you are still making progress. I recently relocated up to NY due to an illness with my father and am working in the industry up here now. This time of year is hectic as it is so you can imagine I am stressing.

But will check back time to time..once the season is gone I will be here more often.

Take care.

jbeletti 
Posted: December 30, 2006 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who came to my aid on this install. Since the project is now outside of the scope of the thread title, I have moved my project progress to a new thread over at MP3Car.com
Thanks again - especially to master5.
Jim
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic