icon

Toyota Highlander, CEL, VSC problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jonyb 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2006 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  

Another installer in my bay attempted a remote start/keyless on a 2005 Toyota Highlander.  After putting the vehicle in gear and all connections are made, it throws the CEL and VSC light on.  With IGN1 and IGN2 wires disconnected, it's fine.  Tech support told him to diode isolate the 2 start wires.   That doesn't seem to make sense to me since with the IGN1 and 2 wires cut, it didn't throw the codes. 

Anyone????

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2006 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
Did you just jump the 2 starter wires together?
About 2 years ago another installer at my former shop didn't isolate the 2 starter wires properly on the same vehicle you have. The same lights came on. I correctly isolated the starter wires....lights went away.
I'm not sure why cutting ign1 and ign2 makes the lights go away.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 28, 2006 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
I'll confess that I've jumped together many Highlander starter wires, and I haven't seen this problem.
(On the new-style Solara, however, if the starter wires are jumped together, the dash lights go out when the car is in gear.)
Is it possible that one of the ignition wires is powered up as an accessory by mistake?
In general, on Toyotas, the car will run with only Ignition 1 powered, but with many warning lights, and no power to the heater.
Check the underhood fuses too, AM1 and AM2. If one of those is blown, you could have the symptoms you describe.
jonyb 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2006 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  

Chris I'll check the fuses tomorrow.  All of the accessory and ignition wires go to the correct wires on the Highlander, but I can't recall what he did for the second starter relay.  It could possibly be wired wrong.  This job is a birds nest and I'm about to make him remove it and start over.

Jworm:  The start wires aren't jumped together, he did use a relay...

Thanks for the replies guys...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic