Silver - Posts: 504
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2003 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  
I should have time today to do this.
Rukee 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2003 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  

Today I pull it in, the dash doesn`t work, I plug in the scanner, let it scan the system, it see`s the body controler, I click 'yes' and the system comes back on line! Now it`s working....what the heck?

This was the guys complaint, that it would come and go, now at least it`s working, maybe I can start tugging and pulling on wiring harnesses and tapping on moduls to see it I can find the problem.

I did find a not so good book on it and it does say that the scanner uses the BUSS system so if I saw everything working on the scanner, that should meen that the engin controler and the BUSS system to the scanner connector was good, so if I replaced the body controler and IC, does that meen I should be looking at the air bag controler??

Player69 
Silver - Posts: 504
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2003 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  
Air bag controller no.  It will only be receiving data, not controlling data.  Possibly the power train control module though.  From my understanding you have only replaced the body control module?
Rukee 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2003 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  

well, it`s not the modual under the center councel, I can unplug it and the dash still works.

Hasn`t gone off-line yet, still looking for problem.

Rukee 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2003 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
Quote: Originally posted by PLAYER69 on February 03, 2003
Air bag controller no.  It will only be receiving data, not controlling data.  Possibly the power train control module though.  From my understanding you have only replaced the body control module?

the body control module and the IC was replaced.n I was told that they have to be matching to keep the milage right or something.

and while it(the IC) was not working, I COULD read the data with the scann tool.

Rukee 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2003 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
Well, it`s back! :(
It was great untill, they claim, it rains or snows, or they go thru the car wash. I hosed the whole under hood area this morning with a spray\mist bottle and tugged on all the harnesses with out getting the dash to fail at all. Does the fact it seems to be water related help at all?
Rukee 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2003 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I splashed through a couple puddles and got it to fail. I have it in the garage now and the dash will constantly turn on and off. resetting everytime it does. The compass in the overhead resets with the dash. I have the dash out, and the compass down and there is a constant 12v + and ground at both the dash connector and the compass connector. I see no reason for it to be constantly turning on and off. The compass will reset with the dash unplugged. Is there a relay that controls both??
Or any ideas at all??
Rukee 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2003 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
This is strange!
The cycling of the dash and compass is also tied to the door chime, when the dash resets the door chime starts over.
I can unplug evey single fuse and relay in both the fuse box inside the right kick pannel and the fuse box under the hood and the dash still continues to turn on and off. I can unplug the engine controler with the same results. When the dash goes out, my snap on scanner still sees all the info with no interuption. I can see nothing in the scanner that appears to be switching with the cycle of the dash. The compass does not go off every time the dash does, but the dash does go off every time the compass does. Sometimes it seems if I turn off the key the dash will stay lit up longer then it should, maybe 2 secs after the key is off before the lights go out, but the motor does shut off with the key.
Is there anyway to test the BUSS system as I have 12v keyed and aways on power with ground to the back of the dash, it almost has to be the BUSS system, doesn`t it??
The two BUSS wires also go up to the compass as well. I seem to have continuity between all the BUSS wires.
Rukee 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2003 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  
Found it!!
Orange wire going to the body controler is suppost to have keyed on and start power, it had neather. I tryed to pull the body modual`s black plug apart (wrong move) and it fell apart. I got one out of a salvage yard and before I soldered the connections I dissconnected one wire at a time till I found the orange wire made it stop cycling on and off. I got a factory wiring harness chart and found the orange wire was the keyed on and start wire from the under hood fuse box. I ran a new wire from the body modual to the under hood fuse box right to the back of the fuse it was suppose to go to, and now it works perfect, no more dash going out when spashing thru the puddles or going thru the car wash! :p
Thanks to all who responded and just make a mental note in case you run into a Grand Cherokee that loses the dash funtion when it gets wet.
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic