96 Grand Cherokee Dash problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Rukee 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2003 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for looking at this!

`96 Grand Cherokee has no dash functions, everything that runs on the buss system is off line. The high beam indicator, blinkers, dash lights work, but the temp gauge, tack, gas, oil pressure, and speedo do not work.

I tryed to replace the dash cluster and the body controler located behind the drivers left knee and still the same thing.

Jeep was in a roll over and the guy said it was intermitent, then just went out totaly.

There isone fuse in the fuse panel slot 10, looks like it says "HBL  SVCH" that has no power, and seems to be a direct ground.

what should a guy be looking for with these goofy things?

Any clue where I can get a wire harness diagram so I can try to see what feeds the signal to the body controler??

I never worked on one like this and any help would be great.

securinu 
Silver - Posts: 772
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2003 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
if it was in an accident the insurance should cover the repair.take it to jeep
Rukee 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2003 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  

the jeep was repaired two years ago, they won`t cover this repair.

I need to fix it, not pass the thing off to the next guy.

Player69 
Silver - Posts: 504
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2003 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  

First thing is to get a copy of a wiring diagram to the instrument cluster.  Make sure that every wire that is supposed to have power has power.

I likely have one if you can't find anywhere else.  I would have to fax it to you though so I would need your fax #. I could also scan it and email if you give me your email address.

Rukee 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2003 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  

all the wires are acounted for going into the back of the cluster, but the two BUSS wires. I have power and keyed power and grounds going to the dash. Everything but the BUSS system works.

e-mail ncrukee@hotmail.com

Player69 
Silver - Posts: 504
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2003 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  

ah, did you check continuity between the wires at the Instrument cluster and the body control module?

Rukee 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2003 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  

no I didn`t....

I tested all the wires going into the back [i]but[/i] the BUSS wires.

When the rest tested good,  and the body computer is less then 1 foot away from the dash connector, those two wires I did not test for continuity between the body controler and the dash plug.

First thing in the morning.......

Rukee 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2003 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
There is one fuse in the fuse panel slot 10, looks like it says "HBL SVCH" that has no power, and seems to be a direct ground.
Bnluis 
Silver - Posts: 578
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2003 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
I  WORKED ON A CAR LIKE THIS  96 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE A WHILE BACK. AND SAME THING HAPPEN.I FOUND A BAD FUSE CONNECTION THAT CONTROLS THE DASHBOARD GAUGES, DON'T REMEMBER THE EXACT FUSE, BUT IT WAS NOT MAKING A GOOD CONNECTION. WHENEVER YOU JIGGLE THE FUSE THE GAUGES WOULD WORK. i TOOK THE FUSE OUT AND CLEANED IT THEN PUT IT BACK AND EVERYTHING WORKED FINE. i DON'T HAVE THE DIAGRAM FOR THIS CAR, BUT I WILL LOOK AT AT WORK TOMORROW. I'LL POST THE FUSE NUMBER.
Rukee 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2003 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  

A wiring diagram would be awesome!

Then I could see what feeds what to where....so to say. :)

I had about 60% of the fuse box apart, it`s a sandwitch design made out of (what else?) plastic layers and layers of copper looking strips running here and there, and poking tabs out the top. About 6 layers of copper strips and plastic layer between each.

The fuses actually plugs into a extender that plugs onto a peg sticking out of the top layer of plastic and extent the connection up tp the bottom of the fuse panel cover. There are like 30 of these little suckers!!

I took them all off and looked for a corroided connection, nothing found, put them all back (I`m sure not in the same order) and it still don`t work.

Does the engine controler feed the signal to the body controler???

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic