icon

camry ecm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
deric 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2003 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

First off everyone has been very helpful in providing answers to my "beginner" questions. I have a 98 camry and am installing a RS in it. I am currently hooking up the tach wire to the ECM the diagram says pin 27 on the ECM (black and orange wire) okay I know this sounds dumb but where is pin 27? my ECM is mounted verticaly and it has 3 plugs going down it there is a black and orange wire on the top plug and the bottom plug which one do I connect the tach sensor to? Also the unit has a connection for "ground when running" what is this?

Thanks

-Deric
Player69 
Silver - Posts: 504
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2003 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  

If you look closely there will likely be numbers on the plug.  Usually just on the edges but you can figure out which pin is which.  You should test this using a Digital Multi Meter.  Set the meter to AC voltage hook the - lead to ground and the + lead to the wire you are testing.  The wire should give a voltage reading that will increase with enging RPM.

The ground when running wire is an output that supplies a - pulse while the remote start is running.  This is used to add a second igntion relay or a security bypass.

deric 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2003 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks - I'll give it a try

-Deric
Bnluis 
Silver - Posts: 578
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2003 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  

Don't bother going to the ECM, just run a wire under the hood. You'l probablly run a wire for your hood pinswitch anyway, you are already half way there.  You will find the tach wire there. On 4 cylinder motor use the black wire at  the gray plug at the ignition coil on the drivers side of the motor. On 6 cylinder motor use a GREY wire at the ignitor. you will find it on a bracket at the drivers strut tower, it will sat DENSO on it. and ignitor in small letters.  Test wires.

Luis

Sound Waves

deric 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2003 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  

I have everything hooked up and ready to go - The Keyless works but the unit will not learn the tach - I tested connection and the connection is good - I already have the glove box removed and would prefer the connection to the ecm if possible. Sometimes when I start the tach sequence the led will fash about 4 times or more REALLY fast. I start the sequence over again and it still does not take.

The instructions are
Start engine with the key
depress the brake pedal  and press the program switch 5 times
led and parking lights will come on
release brake pedal (led will stay lit and parking lights will flash 3 times)  -- THIS doesn't happen
learning is complete
When the car does try to start it barely turns over (doesn't crank long enough) - the unit has a dip switch to increase crank time but it has no effect

-Deric
deric 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2003 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged  
okay,
I haven't fixed the tach issue yet - I work nights and took a day off on the install. I'm going to solder the wire directly instead of using a connector (the wire was too short to reach ECM) But here is a new delima. When I use the key or door switch to lock the doors the keyless entry doesn't allow me to unlock them. Is there a way around this? My wife said she even locked the car with the keyless and it wouldn't unlock. It has worked so far for me as long as I lock the car with the remote. Oh I'm using a Prostart 2300 if that is useful.
Thanks again
-Deric

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic