icon

car battery top post connection

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cim2phat4u 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2007 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  

I just changed my stock GM battery, which has only the GM side posts which you screw bolt terminals into, for an Optima battery which has both side and top posts.  I'm not sure how to use the top posts, they don't seem to work the same way as the side posts since they are just a smooth metal knob without any way of accepting a bolt.  Can anybody tell me how to use these top battery posts, ie how do you connect cables to them?  No smart ass comments please, I just have never used anything but the GM side posts before.

I basically want to do the Big Three upgrade, using the top posts since they are much easier to reach.  What terminals to I need for my cables?  Thanks in advance.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2007 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
Most all of the manufacturers of any wiring accessories will have a top post terminal for accepting 10 to 4 gauge wires... Should be no problem for you to locate these accessories. Check Circuit City.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
airwolf 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2007 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  

cim2phat4u wrote:
I basically want to do the Big Three upgrade, using the top posts since they are much easier to reach.  What terminals to I need for my cables?  Thanks in advance.

Make a internet search for: car audio battery connector

There is a lot of nice terminals for the top post of your battery.  Check the pic. 

car battery top post connection - Last Post -- posted image. 

kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2007 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  
yeah, I use the top for the big 3, and my amplifier, but the side post for the stock GM wiring, It is sweet, and looks great when its all done check out my page if you want to check it out.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 12, 2007 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
I would rather use something like this
http://www.doityourself.com/invt/u190782
roo-dog 
Copper - Posts: 124
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2007 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
   i have an '05 gmc sierra extended cab- with a pretty large stereo.  i replaced the stock battery with a yellow top optima, using the side terminals as they were (for the truck) .  i bought a pair of decent tsunami gold plated top posts (similar to pics) off of e-bay for $5 a pair- helps when you are buying 4 pairs for the four optima batteries in the vehicle.  i ran a 0-gauge ground from top -  to the frame, and 0-gauge power from the top + back to the other batteries and amps (fused, of course).  many different ways to do it, this was just the easiest and neatest for me: especially since i am always changing things.  also, the pic that airwolf shows in his reply accepts the wire directly.  the ones i used have two large allen bolts on top and require the use of ring terminals to attach the wires-  all in what you would prefer.  you don't have to spend huge money on these, but if you buy the cheapest ones you can find, you might get the cheapest thing that they could make- garbage isn't worth anything at all...
(4)g5-1244, (4)gtr12, (2)ppipcx2400, (1)pcx4125, (1)pc4800.2, (3) pair mb quart 6.5"Q, (4)optimas, alumapro (1)5 and(1)15 farad cap, premier deh-p860mp, pioneer xm -dual H.O. alternators
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 13, 2007 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
How many battery terminals like what AirWolf showed do you know can hold more than two 0 gauge wires???
roo-dog 
Copper - Posts: 124
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  
  i am sure they are out there(?), but i can't recall seeing any that accept more than (2)-0gauge  wires.  the ones i used do require ring terminals on the ends of the wire, however, with this method, you can easily put more than one wire (of any size) onto each connection- my terminals have two allen head bolts each to connect the ring terminals.  if my camera was working, i would put up a pic so you can see what i mean.
(4)g5-1244, (4)gtr12, (2)ppipcx2400, (1)pcx4125, (1)pc4800.2, (3) pair mb quart 6.5"Q, (4)optimas, alumapro (1)5 and(1)15 farad cap, premier deh-p860mp, pioneer xm -dual H.O. alternators

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic