icon

4 ohm kicker comp VR DVC wiring problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mabol021 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 2:25 AM / IP Logged  

hi... i have a Phoenix Gold QX 180.2 amps which it think it's bridged stable on 4 ohm only, and i just won a Kicker comp VR DVC 4 ohm. How can I wire this one speaker to my amps? can i just wire one coil of the sub and leave another coil alone? Or how about if i parallel the DVC than i series it with 2 Ohm resistor? so the total become 4 ohm. 

does anybody have a better idea?
thanks alot

mabol

fakepete 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 4:40 AM / IP Logged  
The best things to do are either get another identical sub and wire them parallel-series for a 4 ohm load, or get an amp thats 2 ohm stable.  I would get a diferent amp and use the one you have to run components.
mabol021 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  

thanks for the suggestion, but i have another idea. since i also have a rockford 120a2. can i hook one 4 ohm coil with rockford in bridge 4 ohm 120 watt and another coil with phoenix gold QX 180.2 in bridge 4 ohm 180 watt?

mabol

NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
Don't run the two ampson one driver, you'll be creating major stresses and blow something really fast. Your best bet is either buy a matching one, sell the one you have and get a 4 ohm speaker, or run at 8 ohms. I would personanly run at 8 ohms (voice coils in series, amp bridged), depending on your needs it'll still be pretty loud in the right box, and the amp will run cooler and last longer.
/NyxBass
mabol021 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2003 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  

what will happen if i bridge Phoenix gold 180.2 in 180 watt to one of the coil and leave another coil alone? will that broke the VR? because if i run the subs in 8 ohm, it will only get 90 watt from the amp.

mabol

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2003 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  
Is the amp bridgable at 4 ohms (meaning thats the ohm load before  you bridge it), or is it a 4 ohm load after you bridge it?  Unless I'm mistaken, when you bridge a 4 ohm amp it is seeing a 2 ohm load.  In which case you could wire in parallel to achieve the 2 ohm load.  I've never been a big fan of bridging amps if you can avoid it though, and tend to agree with fakepete.  I'd get an amp that was 2 ohm stable (non-bridged) and use it instead.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic