the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

alarm and door locks work, no remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  

This is not a very complex unit: so there are only a few possible causes for this not working.  These are the only possiblities if you have everything wired correctly. 

1 You are in Valet mode: but the alarm would not work either

2. Hood pin seeing ground:  Cut this wire and tape the end until you figure this out!

3. The heavy gauge wires are plugged into the unit in the wrong order: It should go like this if you start plugging them in from the pin closest to the edge of the unit:  Red. Red, Brown, Yellow, Orange, Purple.

4. If the first three all check out to be hooked up right, then you likely do not have the right wires tapped in the ignition harness.

If the starter is actually acting like you mention that it was, then the only possibilities are that the hoodpin is seeing ground, or the unit is bad.  Are any of the dipswitches flipped inside on the circuit board?  ARe you using tach. tachless, or vacuum?  What I would do is test the unit and make sure that it acts the same way everytime.  Let us know in more detail exactly what is happening, like how long the parking lights turn on for, and if the ignition and accessories get powered up at  all and if so for how long, or are the parking lights the only thing that turns on.  Turn your blowers on high so you know if they are powered up.  Get back to us, and dont give up because you are very close.  If you cant figure out anything from this, then let me know what ignition wires you grabbed.  I assume that you tested them with a DMM or a test light . 

J Rilla
Owner/Installer
Warren Jeep 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  

So here's the skinny, or the fat, I don't know: When I press the remote start, the parking lights flash for approximately a second, the siren chirps, and if the doors are unlocked they lock. The blower turns on for that second, I can hear the fuel pump power up, and I hear one "click" in the engine compartment, and the buzzer which goes on briefly when the ignition is turned also buzzes for the duration of that glorious second. After that second:___________, flat line, nothing. No more lights, no chirp, no four flashes ( I think its four) to signify a failed attempt. Yes, I do have dip switch #4 on off for the pulse wire wrapped around the ignition coil and 'secured with electrical tape' like the manual says. Everything else checks out. I think I'll disconnect the purple starter switch from the post on the solenoid and tap into the green wire from the ignition harness which supplies the starter; as it is  customarily done. Really appreciate it, brah.alarm and door locks work, no remote start - Page 2 -- posted image.

Dane

Player69 
Silver - Posts: 504
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  
Yes do that.  It sounds like power us not being supplied to the starter solonoid.   I am not sure of your mechanical abilities but it is possible that you are hooking the wires up to the starter and not the starter solonoid.  Definately hook it up at the wire inside the truck.  Check the wire with a digital multi meter first!  It should read +12v when you turn the key to the start position and ground or 0volts when in any other position.
jrilla 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  

Yes the starter wire should certainly be connected to the green wire in the ignition harness.  You should also have the three red wire hooked up to the Red wire in the Ignition harness, the Yellow to the Yellow on the jeep, the orange to the Brn, and the brown you do not need, I think you said you had it wired with the yellow wire. 

As far as dipswitch 4 goes, If i remember right that is for the tach signal right?   I would not recommend that you hook up the wire that way.  I would wait to make sure that you need this wire hooked up at all.  I would try flipping that dipswitch back and disconnecting the wire until you know that you need it.  

Try this and let me know it it works

J Rilla
Owner/Installer
Warren Jeep 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  

I'm gonna get right on that. Thank you all, I'll get back to you as soon as I've got them hooked up correctly.

Dane

Warren Jeep 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  

I'll make sure to keep you updated on this puzzle as soon as something develops. Again, I really appreciate it.

Dane

jrilla 
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
No problem
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
Player69 
Silver - Posts: 504
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  

No problem. Let us know how you make out!

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic