300 400 remote starter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lv2xlr8 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2007 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  
Hi
I'm going to be purchasing a car soon and I was looking for a remote starter. I live in Chicago so the temps are always changing and it would come in great use.
The only problem is that I don't know how to install one myself. I'm looking for a unit thats around $300-400 includinginstallation. I know that the labor price is heavy but I'm just looking for a good reliable unit with keyless entry, no alarm is needed. Preferably I'd like to get a unit with some cool gadgets as well but if it's not in my price range I can deal with that.
Thanks for your time in advance.
lv2xlr8 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2007 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  

Does anyone have any info on what kind of remote starters + installation are in this range?

Thnaks for your time in advance. 

mobilecustoms 
Silver - Posts: 397
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2007 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  
look at circuit city or best buy for a python 1400xp or viper 160xv
jim hunter 
Silver - Posts: 351
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2007 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
alot of pricing variants are based on what kind of car you get, most new cars need some type of interface/bypass for security keys, some require modules or extensive labor for keyless, depending on the vehicle you should be able to get a good remote start for below your price range, but again it depends on the vehicle as to what extra parts or labor is required
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 22, 2007 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
Well, basically, here's how it goes:
--The remote starter comes with an installation manual, telling you where each wire goes.
Some manuals are better than others, but on average, most of them are downright horrible. I don't even think they proofread them.
Many professional installers have a hard time figuring out the installation manual, let alone a novice.
--You can get a printout that shows you the locations and colors of the wires in your car. These printouts are mostly accurate, but not always.
--And there you are. If you have tools, the ability/knowledge to diassemble/reassemble cars, the ability/knowledge to find/test/connect wires, and enough patience to understand the manual, you could get the job done, if you have enough time.
--My recommendation would be to figure what you make per hour at your job, versus your desire to do your own work.
If you like this stuff, and you like learning and doing new things, it could be a pleasurable weekend........if you don't, you might be better off just putting in some overtime at work.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2007 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
Unless you have an some exotic model of vehicle 300 to 400 should get you a high quality unit with some decent features. I personaly prefer compustar pro do to reliability, user friendly and its a high quality product. I would ask around friends and family for reference on installation centers or where they have had experience. It starts with a quality product and ends with a quality install, if both are not present no-one is happy.
lv2xlr8 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2007 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
I actually saw a Viper 571XV at Circuit City for $250 which includes basic installation.
What do you guys think about the 571XV?
I forgot to ask the guy at CC but will their be any other additional costs ie upgrades to my battery, alternator, extra parts for installation or the like?
The car will most likely be a 93 Camry XLE.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 23, 2007 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
Those big box stores generally live to sell you any type of overpriced wire, switch, or relay, they possibly can.
No matter where you shop, big-box store or small shop, ask them for an accurate, installed price for your particular car.
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2007 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
If your getting a 93 Camry then you could just get the alarm/remote start and install it yourself.  If you were dealing with newer cars like CAN based systems, immobilizers and factory alarms then yes I would take it to a shop.  An older camry should be a piece of cake even for a begginer.  Either way we are here to help.
lv2xlr8 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2007 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  

I actually made one mistake.  CC is selling the 571XP not the 571XV.  I'm not sure if they're is a huge difference in the two. 

I would install it myself but I have no knowledge in this area whatsoever and I rather not mess around with someone I'm not comfortable with. 

How accurate is the 1/4th mile range? Will it work inside of a building?

I've heard that if you point a keyless entry towards your head it helps you get a further signal.  I actually saw it on a car show (Top Gear) and lol I saw people on other forums who said they actually tried it and strangely enough it worked.  Do you think it would work with a remote start?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic