icon

van sliding door lock

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ferretvw 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2007 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
Ok normally I search the forum and find just about everything I need but for this one I don't even know what to search for. Customer has a 2006 or 2007 GMC Savannah cargo van (same as the chevy express) with the sliding passenger side door. This particular van came with no power locks well now the customer wants to add them with actuators. Normally this isn't a problem but the sliding door has me worried I mocked up something for him with just a bit of split loom coming out of a factory gromet on the van and into a factory gromet on the door and it worked fine. His only problem is that when the door closes it loops down (doesn't get caught or pinched) into the weatherstripping and causes the weather stripping to not seat (this is only a problem because the van will be refrigerated). I'm basically looking for ideas or thoughts on how to do it.
My thinking is as follows: from the factory this van would have a "pad" on the door side and "pins" on the van side which when contacted make an electrical connection allowing the electronics in the door to work. Is there any way I can emulate this or buy something that will do this? And, just for the sake of answering all questions yes I realize this type would only work with the door closed and the customer is ok with that. Thank you and if you need any more info please ask.
--->Richard
2008 Scion xB
Pioneer AVIC-D3
RF 3Sixty.2 sound processor
Stock speakers (for now ;))
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,672
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 25, 2007 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
    I am sure GM uses a panel with contacts exactly like you are referring to in their higher end vans. Call your local GM dealer and get a price on both sides of the contact panel. Or a salvage yard might be able to help.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 25, 2007 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  

I had this problem several years ago.  To fix the problem I ran the wire through some clear tubing that was thick enough that it wouldn't get caugh in any crevices.

I, too, looked for the pins you speak of, and I couldn't find them.

Kevin Pierson
ferretvw 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2007 at 1:32 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks Kpierson I thought of aquarium tubing but that too got in the way of the weather seal and this guy is very adamant that nothing gets in it even if it won't hurt the seal or the wiring he is more worried about the refrigeration getting out.
--->Richard
2008 Scion xB
Pioneer AVIC-D3
RF 3Sixty.2 sound processor
Stock speakers (for now ;))
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2007 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  
If electric locks were an option on the model, you can most likely get the parts from GM.
Find out first if the option was available, and then you should be able to get those parts, otherwise, rob the GM parts bin for/from another model, say a Venture. Later years would likely have a bit more "glamorous" versions, meaning a bit smaller, cleaner or possibly streamlined.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2007 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
Audiovox makes a kit for this problem. The part number is PROPDLVS. The kit contains a dual contact pad and two contact plungers that retract when the door closes. It is a cheap and universal solution. Make sure you pay close attention that the plungers meet the contact pad when the door closes. Mount the plungers first and use black marker on the tips of them to show where they meet the vehicle body.
sparky

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic