icon

Push Button Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
I see what you mean. I was thinking of something else in mind, but thats a good point you brought up though and thanks for that.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 22, 2007 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  

Here are the pictures of the final module right before installation:

Push Button Start - Page 5 -- posted image.

Push Button Start - Page 5 -- posted image.

Kevin Pierson
fbird08 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2007 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
Where do you go to get modules like that built for you? It has a great finished look to it.
Money is just paper
Power is fleeting
But your word is everything,
If your word means nothing,
You are nothing...think about it
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2007 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  
The casing can be bought at Fry's or Mouser.com. However, the guy has a Ph.D. degree in EE or something like that, so its really easy for him to get the circuit board made from here and there.
fbird08 wrote:
Where do you go to get modules like that built for you? It has a great finished look to it.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
KPierson 
Posted: October 30, 2007 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  

The enclosure is made by Hammond Manufacturing - a very high quality on the shelf enclosure.  I purchase them through Mouser.com (good guess profuse!)

I use two different companies for circuit boards, one place called www.PCBPro.com and the other is called www.4PCB.com.  I believe that 4PCB made the prototype board in the first pictures and PCBPro made the finished board above.  In my experiance, 4PCB is a great place for prototype low quantity boards (<10).  PCBPro seems to be a bit better with bigger production runs.

You can get circuit board layout software for free on the 'net, or you can spend a ton of money and get a nice package.  I use a free program from www.freepcb.com.  It doesn't have any advanced features, but the price is right and my boards are small enough that I can manually route everything with minimal issues.

The basic steps in a process like this is to first find an enclosure you want to use for the final product.  You can then create the circuit board layout in the software package that will fit the enclosure.  You then add all the components you need and make all the copper traces.  Next, you Email the file created by the software package to the company that you pick to make the boards.  For a small prototype run you can expect to have the boards within a week.  For a bigger production run it can take up to 5 weeks (depends on how much $$$ you want to spend.)

No Ph.D here, I only have a bachelors degree (in electronics) and a lot of motivation and willingness to learn about new things.  I learned all about making circuit boards the hard, expensive way - trial and error.  The first batch I ever ordered - 100 boards - were pretty worthless because I didn't lay my ground paths out correctly.  Making them manually truely is an art, and you can spend hours upon hours upon hours perfecting a board.

Kevin Pierson
billboe123 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2007 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  
I would like to install a start button on a 06 350z. Any ideas on how to wire it anyone.  I have already intalled that button rated at 40 amps. Just need to know what wires go where and if needed how to wire a relay. thanks
and then
kmongru 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2007 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
i did a push button start years ago in my 96 neon. Basically to start the car the key needed to be inthe accessory position and then press the button. I had my 791xv intergrated into it to. I know these cars had no security system, so it did makes things very easy, but basically the button rerouted the starter from the igniton to the button.
KPierson 
Posted: October 31, 2007 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, the actual starting part isn't hard.

The challanges from this particular module were:

Stopping the car with the push button

Only allowing the starter to crank when the vehicle was off
Allow all three status LEDs to work as designed
Use a short delay to prevent accidental start/stops

The actual starter output is just a 500mA output driving a relay, just like a typical remote start.  Since the key is needed to be turned in the ignition to defeat the mechanical wheel lock I left out the ignition output.  I could have added it and then the key wouldn't need to be in the 'on' position, but you are already putting it in and turning it so there really isn't a point that I could see.

Kevin Pierson
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2007 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
kmongru is missing the boat, anyone can install a push button starter if you are using the original key, did it myself on an old Merc 280CE when the ignition switch failed on the starter system. The achievement is in what Ken has accomplished here.
KPierson 
Posted: October 31, 2007 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  

Er, it's Kevin!

Not sure why, but many, many people call me Ken, which is actually my Father's name!

Kevin Pierson
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic