the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

ground loop

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hamzter 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2007 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:
Before you jump on the headunit, what about the rest of the system? Are you using amplifiers in this system? Where are they grounded to? Is there a RCA cable that is pinched?
negative... RCAs are good...
I am running MC 201XLNs to the back and 101xln from the Electronic Crossover. EC is new and amps work fine.
Mark "Hamzter" Cinense
1991 Infiniti G20 w/JDM SR20DE
Eclipse CD8445
MTX Thunder 684
Polk DB6750
Polk DB6500
Optima Red Top in the Trunk
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2007 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  

My bet is that you have a huge difference in potential between all the amps, the crossover and the head unit. List all of the equipment, model # etc. how they are installed, where they are installed and we can go forth from there. To me this is indicitave of a install related issue or a bad component further down the line. Lots to go over yet before you run out and purchase a new cd player. (try a new Eclipse though and if you still have noise, you know it is not the head unit - the wire harness is the same for all units over the last 6 years or so).

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
hamzter 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2007 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:

My bet is that you have a huge difference in potential between all the amps, the crossover and the head unit. List all of the equipment, model # etc. how they are installed, where they are installed and we can go forth from there. To me this is indicitave of a install related issue or a bad component further down the line. Lots to go over yet before you run out and purchase a new cd player. (try a new Eclipse though and if you still have noise, you know it is not the head unit - the wire harness is the same for all units over the last 6 years or so).

sure... here it goes:
Eclipse CD-8445 to
Memphis Audio 16-X03 3 way crossover to
MTX 684 4 Channel amp powering Polk DB6750s Mids and Tweets
MTX Thunder 1500dx powering 1 Infinity Perfect 12.1
1 Farad cap connected to the 1500dx
Sir-ECL1 from CD-8445 Headunit.
I am using Monster Cable 201xln to the electronic crossover and 101xln from the crossover to the amps respectively.
I am not a pro installer, I am a hobbyist as my real job is computers. I get into the electronics part as a hobby because my real job does not allow me to play with electricity.
so any help and education is definitely welcome.
Mark "Hamzter" Cinense
Eclipse CD8445
MTX Thunder 684
Polk DB6750
Polk DB6500
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2007 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
Ah.  That crossover could be the culprit as it is also a line driver and it is way more likely to be bad than you HU.  Make sure your ground for the HU and the crossover is the same, and make sure you have CAREFULLY gain-matched the HU output to the Xover input and the amps to the Xover outputs.  Indeed, I suggest the next thing you should try is to take that out of your signal path completely and run directly from the HU to your amps and see if it helps.
Support the12volt.com
hamzter 
Posted: June 10, 2007 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
Ah. That crossover could be the culprit as it is also a line driver and it is way more likely to be bad than you HU. Make sure your ground for the HU and the crossover is the same, and make sure you have CAREFULLY gain-matched the HU output to the Xover input and the amps to the Xover outputs. Indeed, I suggest the next thing you should try is to take that out of your signal path completely and run directly from the HU to your amps and see if it helps.
Good point and normally I would agree with you since I have not thought that the 8volt output would have made an issue. I am not sure if I can adjust that. I will have to read the op manual.
The only thing is that I had a Coustic Electronic crossover before I had replaced it with the Memphis Audio EC. I recall that I had engine noise when I first installed this headunit, but was not sure if it was my battery run to the trunk or my alternator. When I initially installed my HU I did not have any amplifiers installed except the OEM amplifiers were inline as high level inputed from my speaker output. I am wondering if that is somehow the culprit. I removed the rear oem amp and everything is on its own separate run.
So anyway I did run a seperate ground from the HU to the spot where the EC is grounded in the trunk. Eclipse TS told me to do that. AAMOF, they told me to run another ground in conjunction with the one I just ran to another location, ie chassis ground close to the HU.
that is why my original question is does adding more grounds create a Ground Loop?ground loop - Page 2 -- posted image.
this has got to be my most challenging install.
Mark "Hamzter" Cinense
Eclipse CD8445
MTX Thunder 684
Polk DB6750
Polk DB6500
hamzter 
Posted: June 13, 2007 at 2:17 AM / IP Logged  
ok... sorry for not listening to you guys, my RCAs going to the amp from the crossover was the culprit. Not to mention that my Crossover was somehow on top of the flippin' positive cable from the front. about 98% of the noise was coming from this.
I will be rearranging my layout. However I am still getting a little alternator noise.
All my grounds are dead on potential.
Without the car on 12.0v across all grounds
With the car on 14.26 across all grounds
any suggestions?
Mark "Hamzter" Cinense
Eclipse CD8445
MTX Thunder 684
Polk DB6750
Polk DB6500
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2007 at 5:37 AM / IP Logged  
Eliminate the crossover, chances are you totally do not need it and it more than likely is the source of the noise as I first suspected.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
hamzter 
Posted: June 13, 2007 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
I have never used a ground loop isolator. Do they work?
I mean really?
Mark "Hamzter" Cinense
Eclipse CD8445
MTX Thunder 684
Polk DB6750
Polk DB6500
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic