icon

remote wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
noob555 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2007 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, i'm a complete noob at car audio so sorry for any question that may sound stupid....but when hooking up a remote wire to your head unit you tap it in to the accessory aka switched 12v wire but if there isnt a accessory wire where would you tap the remote wire into? would it be the Factory amp turn on wire? and if neither an accessory wire or factory amp turn on wire where would i hook it up to then? or does there have to be one of the two wires?
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2007 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  

What kind of radio are you working with? Factory? Aftermarket?

noob555 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2007 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
Factory...its just for cars in general not looking for a specific make and model.
noob555 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2007 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
To make it more simple...if there is No accessory wire to tap my remote wire into on a factory head unit or ignition harness,,to a after market amp.. where eles would i tap into?...not looking for a specific car.
I was thinking the Factory amp turn on wire?
noob555 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2007 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  
I was told that when hooking up my after market amp to my factory head unit that I would tap my remote wire into the accessory wire on the ignition harness and if there was no accessory wire i would have to look for one on my fuse block...is that correct??
noob555 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2007 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
I could also use my factory amp turn on correct?
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2007 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I'm far from the expert on wiring so take this as it is...I know you could hook the amp turn on into any switched 12volt wire so the amp would come on when the ignition is turned on. I would think you could use the factory amp turn as well. You could always check some wires with a multimeter to see if the wire would work or not, but like I said, I'm not much on all the wiring but I don't believe this is a hard one to figure out.
noob555 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2007 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
Ok thanks alot.
ginners 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2007 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  

hi,

you can wire your amp through any sitched 12v feed but your problem would arise with the audio output.

your after market amp will probably have phono connections (1 red and 1 white-similar to phonos you would use on your tv,ps2s etc)and your head unit if the standard head unit that comes with vehicle would more than likely not have a phono output!

in this case you could use a speaker to phono converter.....you would basically use the vehicles rear speaker outputs as your input to the convertor that would then have phono connections coming out the other end...

this would give you your audio signal

im an experienced installer but have only started using this site

hope this is of help to you

cheers

ginybhoy
noob555 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2007 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
is that similar to a Line Output Converter?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic