icon

setting gain with oscilloscope

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kungwaz 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2007 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  

I have a oscilloscope that I can use, but how do I set the gain with it?

I have read that you put your HU level at 3/4 and then you shall increase the gain, is this correct?

Now to the question about the oscilloscope; How do I wire it correct? at the terminals at the amp parallel to the speakers? (I guess the speakers should be connected when I set the gain). Then just increase the gain until I see the clipping?

// Kungen

// KungWaz
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2007 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
My guess would be to test your Headunit outputs first and see where they clip and go down a few notches, then hook the headunit up to the amp and turn the gain up until the output almost clips. But im sure there is a far more detailed method.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2007 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  

Alpine Guy wrote: test your Headunit outputs first and see where they clip

Will the RCA ouputs clip at the same volume as the speaker outputs? I've always wanted to know this.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 18, 2007 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
if the rca outputs are clipping than you will be able to tell by hooking up the scope to the amps outputs...they will be clipped also
kungwaz 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2007 at 1:19 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, so I only have to use the scope on the amp?

What level should I have on the HU, 3/4 ?

// Kungen

// KungWaz
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2007 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
The quick way to set unity gain with an oscilloscope: start with scope connected to amp output and input gains all the way to minimum.  Play your test tone CD and slowly turn up HU volume until you start to notice the waveform being clipped.  This is your max HU volume setting before the onset of clipping.  (Note that some high quality HUs today will not clip their outputs at all.  In this case, simply set the HU to about 80% of whatever it's max might be.)  Now slowly increase the input gain setting on the amplifier until you reach the target output voltage for the amp's power rating into your speaker load, or until the waveform starts to clip whichever comes first.  You can actually go a bit past this setting and introduce a small amount of clipping (no more than 10%) as most people will never hear this and it will allow a bit more usable output from the amp.  If you want to be more precise, you can also scope the line level outputs from the HU and set the volume for max rated voltage output level before you scope the amp.  After you have set this basic level, change the CD to play some frequency sweeps or pink noise and re-check the amp output.  If you notice significant clipping, reduce the gain setting until it clears.  The real power of using a scope comes from being much more precise than a volt meter, and also a scope makes it much easier to adjust settings to match the output levels from multiple amps.
Support the12volt.com
mjwood0 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2007 at 7:15 AM / IP Logged  
Wow DYohn -- That's a great explanation. Very helpful. I was wondering how this worked and that cleared it up!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic