the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

getting hu bench tested

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hamzter 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2007 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
I will be taking my HU to get bench tested. They are going to charge me $5 to get it done. What can I expect for them to test?
Reason I am getting it tested is because of my engine noise problem, and I have tried absolutely everything to get rid of it or to test where the problem lies.
I can't resolve the engine noise issue short of swapping out the HU for another Eclipse Head Unit, which I do not have.
Mark "Hamzter" Cinense
1991 Infiniti G20 w/JDM SR20DE
Eclipse CD8445
MTX Thunder 684
Polk DB6750
Polk DB6500
Optima Red Top in the Trunk
kassdog 
Copper - Posts: 257
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2007 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  
Well a bench test isn't going to find if theres an alternator whine because there is no alternator. I would just give them your car and pay whatever they charge because that is the hardest problem to solve.
hamzter 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2007 at 7:23 AM / IP Logged  
Good point.
I will take the vehicle in. Before I do, I am going to re-route the 2 x 0 gauge wire a slightly different route.
Actually I will probably turn on the car a couple of times with the new route of the power wires and see what happens.
Mark "Hamzter" Cinense
Eclipse CD8445
MTX Thunder 684
Polk DB6750
Polk DB6500
hamzter 
Posted: July 20, 2007 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
ok... I didn't get the Eclipse CD8445 bench tested. I am closer to thinking that is not it...
But check this out...
I was driving home without the radio even installed and I can hear a faint whine...
could that be the culprit. Now the problem is finding out where it is coming from. can my speaker wires be taking in the noise even without the system turned on?
Mark "Hamzter" Cinense
Eclipse CD8445
MTX Thunder 684
Polk DB6750
Polk DB6500
hamzter 
Posted: July 22, 2007 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
Found my problem.
I pulled the head from where it is mounted and the noise is about gone.
So I take a wire and ground it to the chassis of the car where the radio mounts to and viola...   noise is audible again. Keep in mind that the CD8445 is also grounded via the black ground wire to the trunk where the amplifiers are grounded to the chassis. If I remove the wire the noise is almost gone again.
Do you all think that my Eclipse CD8445 is bad? for now, I am going to try and isolate my HU from the chassis using some plastic washers or something so that the screw is not touching the HU.
So, I am at a loss unless you all agree with me that the HU is malfunctioning.
Mark "Hamzter" Cinense
Eclipse CD8445
MTX Thunder 684
Polk DB6750
Polk DB6500

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic