the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

too many grounds

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hamzter 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2007 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I got off the phone with Eclipse TS and the tech wants me to upgrade my 8 ga grounds in my engine compartment to 4 gauge.
Is it possible to have too many grounds in the engine compartment and it create engine noise in the audio system?
Mark "Hamzter" Cinense
1991 Infiniti G20 w/JDM SR20DE
Eclipse CD8445
MTX Thunder 684
Polk DB6750
Polk DB6500
Optima Red Top in the Trunk
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2007 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
No. As a suggestion, though, make sure you CREATE as many ground points as you can, don't connect multiple cables to one bolt.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2007 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
Isn't it the opposite, too little grounds create noise? I mean, I always knew that more grounds is better...
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
hamzter 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2007 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
No. As a suggestion, though, make sure you CREATE as many ground points as you can, don't connect multiple cables to one bolt.
is that the same as one cable to 2 different points? I may have one like that in the engine compartment. If I do, I can quickly change it.
you mean create as many different ground points in the engine compartment?
Mark "Hamzter" Cinense
Eclipse CD8445
MTX Thunder 684
Polk DB6750
Polk DB6500
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 23, 2007 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
I upgraded as many grounds as I could find in my engine compartment.
Battery ground to body
Battery ground to frame
Battery ground to engine block
Alternator case to engine block
Then a few grounds underneath the chassis grounding the body to the frame
lol
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2007 at 7:54 AM / IP Logged  
The more points of proper electrical contact you have, the closer to a homogenous ground plane you will get.
The homogenous ground plane is what you are looking for, here.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
hamzter 
Posted: July 24, 2007 at 7:57 AM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
The more points of proper electrical contact you have, the closer to a homogenous ground plane you will get.
The homogenous ground plane is what you are looking for, here.
so in the engine compartment, should I add a couple more short 4 gauge wires to ground from the motor?
I will do that... but what the Eclipse Tech said about having 1 gauge ground from the motor only did not make sense to me.
Mark "Hamzter" Cinense
Eclipse CD8445
MTX Thunder 684
Polk DB6750
Polk DB6500
haemphyst 
Posted: July 24, 2007 at 9:19 AM / IP Logged  
It couldn't hurt... I think the 1/0 is a bit overkill, though...
WTH?!?! DAVE said someting was OVERKILL?!?!too many grounds -- posted image. too many grounds -- posted image.
(I re-read your post, and you typed that the tech said 1 gauge, not 1/0. Is that what he said? Two #4 wires is the same MCM as a single #1, but NOT the same as a 1/0. IMO, two #4 wires, attached between the engine block and chassis in two different places on both ends would be more effective than a single #1 cable.)
hamzter 
Posted: July 24, 2007 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
I have 1 gauge in the trunk for negative to chassis.
I will add more ground in the engine compartment in the next day. I don't think that will solve my engine noise problem, but I hope I at least see a difference in electrical power...too many grounds -- posted image.
Mark "Hamzter" Cinense
Eclipse CD8445
MTX Thunder 684
Polk DB6750
Polk DB6500
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2007 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
You should be seeing a difference. It is all about making the flow of current as efficient as possible. Current starts at the alternator, alternator is grounded to the engine. This is why the tech guy told you to upgrade the ground from the engine to the chassis. Current needs both a + and a - to flow properly. Restrict one and it restrics the flow of current.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic