icon

power distribution between subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xtreme069 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
I am asking the age old question to get some closure and some sleep at night! If I wire 2 subs to one amp will both subs see the full amount of power or will they see half each? the way i look at it the amp only sees a load not an amount of subs so if you get as much current to the amp as possible (obviously 2 subs are going to draw more current than one) then why wouldn't both subs see the maximum output of the amp please can some one explain this to me and even show me a way of measuring the power at each sub all help would be greatly appreciated
I Love This Industry!!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  

It's basic electricity.  Kirchhoff's current law states that the current into any electrical node (connection) will always equal the current out.  Meaning, if the amplifier is capable of producing, say, 10 amps of current, this current will be split at the node where the speakers are connected such that the total still equals 10.  If there are two speakers both at the same impedance, they will each use 5 amps, or "split" the available power.  If one has higher impedance than the other, it will utilize less of the current but the total will still equal 10 amps.  You cannot create more current (or more power) than the source is capable of supplying.

The only reason there is any question about fundamental issues like this is because too many people who think of themselves as car audio "experts" have no training in basic electricity or electronics and really do not understand what they are talking about.

Support the12volt.com
mjwood0 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

The only reason there is any question about fundamental issues like this is because too many people who think of themselves as car audio "experts" have no training in basic electricity or electronics and really do not understand what they are talking about.

I agree whole heartedly. I have very little audio experience, but a decent amount of electronic experience. Sure makes the audio easier so far as wiring and such...
xtreme069 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2007 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  
thanks guys it all makes a bit more sense you were so write about people trying to explain it with out having a clue the only other part was how to measure the power coming from the amp at any given volume can this be done with basic equipment or do i have to re mortgage my house thanks for all your help
I Love This Industry!!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2007 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
Direct measurement of power output is fairly straight forward and could be done with a good quality multimeter, but only if you know what you are doing since direct measurement of current can be dangerous (meters can blow up.)  You need to measure both the voltage and current output and calculate power using Ohm's law formulas.  A clamp-on meter is the easiest tool for this.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic