icon

input needed on factory replace headunits

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
priorityaudio 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  

My company is developing the industry's first line of factory replacement headunits.  They require no dash kit and wiring harness on various model vehicles which are entirely "Bolt-n-Replace" with factory look, often factory functionality as well as like steering wheel controls and in-demand features like Bluetooth, Navigation, iPod, XM, Sirius Satellite and DVD.  We need the12volt.com to help us strategize which features and model vehicles would be best.  We know that the12volt.com is huge and its members are knowledgeable.  We're launching next month with models for Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Buick, Chevy, Hummer, Pontiac, Saturn, Suzuki, Toyota, Scion and Volkswagen with more to follow and want to ensure that we have the most in-demand features and functions. . .

I need to know what other features would be good as standard ot add-on.  I would really like some feedback on what anyone thinks.  We also have some multi-media pieces we are developing that similar features.  Some are double-din; some are single-din with motorized 7" screens.  Thoughts?

Adam Kosofsky

Priority Audio, LLC.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  

The first company to do this? There are two manufacturers that immediately come to mind that have done this in the past from as early as the 1970's... Panasonic and Audiovox.

input needed on factory replace headunits -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
priorityaudio 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  

Back in the 1970's and leading into the 80's and 90's all radios were a standard size either 2-post, single DIN, double DIN, etc.  Additionally connectivity, and for that matter integration, was limited to basic power, ground, ignition, speakers, etc.  With the advancements of vehicle networks (CAN, MOST, etc.) this has been redefined and taken on a new urgency.

The radios we have developed have vehicle model specific molds that are anything but generic.  Furthermore OE Radio is concentrating on true vehicle integration [on various upcoming models] including tapping into the vehicle bus and even factory steering wheel controls.  These are true OEM replacements with a quick bolt and replace  install. 

We are seeking feedback from the12volt.com professional community so we launch with the featureset most desired by mobile professionals.  

Adam Kosofsky
Priority Audio, LLC.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  

Without getting into a deep discussion over different OEM head unit sizes and shapes of the past... an OEM replacement head unit capable of playing MP3 encoded discs with low level outputs for front, rear and sub with a built in high pass/low pass crossover as well as an auxiliary input and CD changer controls while maintaining steering wheel controls would likely satisfy most users.  Add Bluetooth for in car hands-free and you'd have an interesting product.

input needed on factory replace headunits -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
I like what the12volt has suggested, and I'll add: 24bit DAC, a real volume knob or rotary encoder not push buttons, defeat-able power amps (or no amps at all, a preamp-only head unit), easy iPod integration, HD and RDS radio reception, digital outputs in addition to the line-levels suggested above, USB interface and firmware that can handle standard digital file types, and ability to customize the indication/display colors and brightness.
Support the12volt.com
priorityaudio 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  

Low level front/rear/subs, auxiliary input, bluetooth, iPod navi, MP3 and digital media support are already included.  We use rotary power knobs when the factory does so as well (e.g. our Toyota, Chrylser, and GM pieces for example).  HD Radio is on the roadmap as well. 

Any thought s on models beyond those listed?

Adam Kosofsky
Priority Audio, LLC.
jayem7516 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
A couple more features to add to the wish list:
- Easy/quick navigation of MP3/WMA/FLAC files if you have a portable hard drive or flash drive connected.
- Also if possible, having the head unit storing the song library when you have a hard drive connected. By this, I don't mean storing the songs themselves, just the filename and directory location so the headunit doesn't have to scan through the drive each time its connected.
mjwood0 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
Another really interesting feature for many would be good support for lossless encoding formats (FLAC for instance). MP3s are convenient but people don't like spending thousands on a great audio system to feed it sub-optimal signal.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2007 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  

Bringing up an old thread here, but I thought I might mention that this company launched their products and pretty much adhered to what was suggested on this board. I contacted the rep today, in hopes of doing business with them soon, he was helpful and has info in the mail for me.

This is an interesting product to say the least, I am excited to sell these.

There is also an article in the 12volt news paper.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic