ca 425 erratic behavior

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
awdeclipse 
Copper - Posts: 285
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2007 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
Hello,
I installed a Code Alarm CA-425 master module and when I powered it up it would erratically flash the parking lights. Tried a new ground, and it is still doing the same thing. Is there some kind of initialization process for this module? If you let it hang for 40s or so it would stop flashing the parking lights but the second you moved it, it would start all over again. I couldn't program a remote due to this issue.
CA 425 Master Module
CA 670 2-way LCD and 6-button transmitters
Vehicle is a 2007 Ford E-250
Any ideas?
peterubers 
Silver - Posts: 706
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2007 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  

Power connections and all other wiring connections are intact?  Did you solder or use quick connectors?  if solder, are all your joints decent?  If taps, are any loose?

Are the wires in the white alarm harnesses all firmly connected?  Are all the white harnesses firmly connected to the black alarm brain?

The search function is your friend.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 05, 2007 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds simply like the alarm is going off, and that's why it's flashing the parking lights? Is the siren or horn hooked up? If so, is it sounding?
The owner's manual should tell you how to use the valet switch to disarm the alarm. Typically, it'll be 1, turn the ignition on, and 2, tap the valet switch, but read the instructions to make sure.
After you use the valet switch to disarm the alarm, you should be able to program a remote.
awdeclipse 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2007 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
All connections were soldered. I used less than half of the wires coming out of the 20pin harness. The extras were cut off of the harness to reduce clutter.
I did not have the siren, hood pin or horn wired. I also did not install the remote start over ride switch. I started the project late and needed to wrap things up for the evening. I plugged the module in because of the starter kill, so I could start the vehicle.
When I plug the 4 pin power/ign/starter harness in I get a hum coming from the module, then when I plug the 20 pin harness in with the ground it acts all crazy. I unfortunately ran out of time to troubleshoot and jumped the starter kill temporarily until I can resolve this issue.
I thought it was the alarm going off but the lights are flashing randomly, there is no pattern to it at all. Its not a cycling on/off flash. The negative door trigger I used shows ground when door is open but does not show positive with the door closed. Is this a possible issue? I would imagine the module would use some internal pullups / pulldowns to address an issue like this but that is all I can think of for now that may contribute to this issue.
Any other ideas?
Thanks
mando2155 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2007 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
This happened all the time to me.  do this and it will be fine.    The first connection to be made is your ground.  Then hook up your ignition,  then turn the car on, ( not running just on )  then connect your constant 12v,  turn the car off.  after that start making all of your other connections.  That unit had a manual disarm wire as well that can be used to shut the alarm off.  As long as you follow that first sequence of ground, ignition,power ( they have to be the first connections made with no other wires connected.)  the alarm wont trigger.  However if youve already got alot of your wires connected and dont want to pull them out , just use the manual disarm to shut the unit off.  lt-blue/black or lt-blue/red.  I forget.  program your remotes as soon as possible just in case.
awdeclipse 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2007 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info. I was looking for a "power up" sequence in the install manual but was unable to find anything. I'll give that a shot and see what happens. I was worried the unit was defective but this behavior is turning out to be somewhat expected from this model...
I usually never plug the modules in until I'm done wiring, so I've never had an issue like this pop up before and wasn't sure how to remedy it.
Thanks Again.
awdeclipse 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  

Got everything up and running.  Thanks everyone for the help.  I had to go with pulsing the manual disarm wire, as the power-up sequence still allowed the alarm to be set off.

Thanks Again

Gus

mando2155 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2007 at 4:01 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for posting your results.   

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic