icon

radio memory wire for alarm 12v

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mrspeaker 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2007 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
Hi,I currently have the alarm's constant 12v ran into the engine bay and attached on the battery,I think that's real stupid and want to keep it inside the car.
I was wondering,can I tap into the memory wire on the factory radio for the 12v constant? Or will it cause problems?
Thanks in advance.
Also I dont want to tap off the wire at the ignition switch,the car that I have is a PITA.
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
The ignition harness is the best place to get a 12v source. If you didnt tap anything there.....im wondering where you found your ignition wire for the alarm. But anyways, yes you can tap into the radio for a 12v source, just as long as its not a car that goes into "sleep" mode.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  
PITA or not....the ign. harness, or the battery are the best locations to get your constant 12 V. The current demands of the alarm combined with the radio and the other item's on the same circuit could give you a different kind of PITA!
mrspeaker 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  
I have the ignition switched power connected to the ignition switch,and connected the 12v constant to the battery because I know thats the absolute best place,but after it's all said and done thats the weak spot,where the battery is located on my car is the front left by the headlight and the power wire just sticks out even though it's not red anymore,
I didn't want to have to go into the ignition switch anymore because in this car to get to it,you have remove alot of panels that are prone to breaking because the car is 17 years old,than to get to the ignition switch you have remove the duct work,and drop the steering column to allow room for soldering,That's the only reason I even thought of the radio memory wire.
By the way,car is an 89 ford probe and has the stock stereo that doesnt even get used,(I can't listen to the radio and drive)
Why don't you reccomend tapping into the radio wiring? Im just curious
Thanks
mrspeaker 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  
"KarTuneMan"
Are you trying to say that when the alarm goes off it could blow the radio fuse or worse?
The inline fuse for the alarm is 15a and the factory radio fuse is 15a.So shouldnt it work? In just trying to learn,this was my 1st alarm install ever.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  
Kar tune man is as usual absolutely right. Technically you could possibly add "dirt" to radio feed, also have you thought of the fuse box as a source? Go to the thick live input. This car is too old to worry about CPU's going to sleep.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic