icon

will heat be an issue?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2007 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  

I will be cutting out the cd-holder slot on a HU adapter kit for an EQ. The Deck is an /////AlpineCDA-9830 and the EQ is an AlpineERE-G160 going to my ClarionProAPA2104 which'll power my AlpineSPS-1015 .75" tweeters and (soon to be) SilverFlute5.5's woofers. I recently turned the HU's internal power off b/c of my newly added front stage (Still using crap woofers until I get the SilverFlutes. I was using all 4 powered channels from the HU.) and I didn't notice a huge decrease in heat production by the HU when I remove the faceplate and feel the front of it. The HU does have a fan.

Neither will be producing power, they will only be using pre-amp outputs/inputs. Will adding the EQ atop the HU in dash create a problem for either due to heat?

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
kassdog 
Copper - Posts: 257
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2007 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
No you should be good if you mean the normal heat that comes off of those.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2007 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  

Also, when I remove a CD after playing it for awhile, they still get about as hot as before I turned the HU's internal amp off.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
mando2155 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2007 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
I think the place youd most likely notice a tempurature difference is at the heat sinks on the back of the radio, or on the side.  The radio will still be warm because air doesnt circulate in the cavity where the radio sits.  Even if your head unit only generates a small amount of heat it will sit there and accumulate because it doesnt really have anywhere to go.  If you really want to know what kind of temp difference turning the amp of does try using a dmm with temp probes.  See if you can install the probes in the radio cavity with the radio and run the wires safely through the dash to your meter.  Turn your radio on and use it for however long you normally do. ( dont forget to hook some speakers up so the amp has to work to drive them.)  Then try it again with the amp turned off and see what the temp difference is.  Last step would be to put the eq in and the radio (with amp off) and see what the temp is.  If its less than or equal to what it was with the amp on then you should have no problems whatsoever.  I know there are alot of other circuits in the radio that generate heat  but I think it would be safe to run the radio with the amp off and the eq in there with it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic