the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

motorola hf850 through factory speakers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
passmaster16 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2007 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  

I know this has been asked before but I have yet to find any definitive answer.  I have a 2002 Acura RL with the Bose amplified sound system.  I wanted to know if there is any way to integrate the HF850 to use the factory speakers rather than the 5 watt external speaker supplied with the kit.  My factory radio does not have a mute wire but I was planning on working around this by using a 30a Bosch automotive relay to cut the power to the factory amp using the signal triggered by the HF850.  I don't think the factory head unit would take line level inputs so I would assume that I would need the powered signal coming out of the HF850 in order to work with my factory speakers.  In terms of output, the HF850 probably only sends powered output though to the external speaker.  This would indicate that I'd had to cut that wire in order to splice it into my factory setup.  Does anybody have any insight on this? 

Thanks!

rv8tor 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2007 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
i had the same problem, used a 4 position double throw relay to open 4 of the 8 speaker wires, fired by the mute signal, to mute the audio. I am using a second double throw, double pole relay, to swap the left front speaker wires from the stereo to the HF850, parallel to the first relay.  technically a 5 position double throw relay would do all in one, however i did not find such a beast.
passmaster16 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2007 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  

rv8tor wrote:
i had the same problem, used a 4 position double throw relay to open 4 of the 8 speaker wires, fired by the mute signal, to mute the audio. I am using a second double throw, double pole relay, to swap the left front speaker wires from the stereo to the HF850, parallel to the first relay.  technically a 5 position double throw relay would do all in one, however i did not find such a beast.

Thanks for the reply.  Where are you running your outputs from the HF850.  I have not purchased one yet but as far as I know, the HF850 does not have line level outputs ( http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/manuals/HF850_9488A76O.pdf).  There is a blue and yellow wire that the manual says are not used.  I do know that the IHF1000 has line level outputs.  The only other way that I could see working is if I snipped the external speaker output wire (which is powered) and tie that into my speaker leads.  This may be my only option anyway because if I use the relay to power my factory amp off, I would assume that I would need to provide a powered output from HF850 in order to drive the speakers properly so line level outputs probably wouldn't be of much use to me.   I'd like to hear your thoughts on this though.

Thanks 

rv8tor 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2007 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
The second relay is used to switch my left front speaker between the radio and the HF850, I don't think my radio has a useable line-level input anyway. I just connect the speaker via the relay to the HF850.
passmaster16 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2007 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I see.  So you're just snipping the output that is usually used for the provided external speaker and splicing it into your left front speaker via a relay?  Have you actually done this already because I read somewhere else that somebody had done this and they said that the sound quality was horrible?  I'd be interested to know how good it sounds. 
rv8tor 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2007 at 8:15 AM / IP Logged  
Well, it sounds ok, although i could see if there is an impedence missmatch that the sound would be distorted. The gripe i have is that the other side thinks i am not as loud and slightly 'fuzzy', I guess i need to play with the mic location which right now is in the recess for the speedometer, ensuring my voice reaches both sides of the microphone.... oops

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic