icon

wiring leds in series or parallel

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
elimenohpee 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2007 at 4:32 AM / IP Logged  
I've been researching a lot on this subject, reading a lot of the older threads that have to do with this subject. However, I can't seem to find which way to wire the leds together: series or parallel? I was planning on having a few rows of 4 leds connected together. What would be the best way to wire them together, in series or parallel? I'm still kind of new to this, so any kind of explanation or point in some kind of direction would be helpful! Thanks!
elimenohpee 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2007 at 4:38 AM / IP Logged  
If I understand it right, if the leds were 3.0v, then I could wire 4 of them in series, and I wouldn't need any resistors correct? Because the voltage is divided evenly between the leds? Or in parallel, placing a resistor on each individual led, I think. Thing is, which way would be better?
mando2155 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2007 at 2:03 AM / IP Logged  

Your series and parellel examples are both correct.  I would not do series, though.  Main reason is if one L.e.d. fails everyone after it will stop working until the failed one is replaced.  Parellel will be more work if your making your own cluster of lights.  If you do parellel i would use a resistor between 330 and 500 ohms.

elimenohpee 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2007 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  
Ah, ok.  That makes perfect sense, I didn't think about that.  Great, then parallel it is!  Thanks for the help.
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2007 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
I had trouble back when I first got into wiring up stuff and I read books and asked people about it. If you don't have time to do all of the math yourself then use this simple led wiring calculator...
Led array wizard

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic