Try this out for size.
kamberkash 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2007 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
kamberkash wrote:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-810
Try this out for size.
Its also less expensive than the power supply you were looking at 13w7 with 1000/1, fuse? - Page 2 -- posted image.
goldtooth 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2007 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  

no dice, 1,024 watts RMS into 4 ohms

my sub is wired to 3 ohms, only other choice is .75 ohm! :eek:

goldtooth 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2007 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
what would happen if I would run that 4 ohm amp on my 3 ohm sub?
kamberkash 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2007 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
the amp would heat up a little more than its supposed to, and would produce a little more power, but not enough to blow the sub.
i actually did something similar to what you are trying to do.
i had an 8" velodyne powered subwoofer with a 100 watt amp for my house that i wired in parallel to a 12 kicker L7 to and it worked fine. the only problem was that if i turned it up too loud (and i mean very loud) the amp would shut down and go into protect mode. i could also only use one voice coil on the kicker,but that was a dual 4 ohm configuration.
in your case, if you decide to go with that setup, you would want to wire your voice coils in series to keep your 3 ohm load. im not sure how loud you'll be able to turn the amp up but i think it would work. if it doesnt work the way you want and you dont actually blow the amp you could probably just sent the amp back. just a suggestion, im definitely not an electronics engineer or anything but i have used car audio subs with home audio amps and it worked.
here are some more amps to look at :
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=48&ObjectGroup_ID=505
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2007 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  

it doesnt matter to that amp...between 1.5-4ohms its producing 1000watts of power.

so three ohms is where you want to run that sub....if you run it down to .75 it probably wont be happy.

as far as fuses...yea go with the 150amp because if i remember right our rep told me thats what it pulls...either that or 125.

2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
goldtooth 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2007 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  

I know that it doesnt matter to my 1000/1 amp, because the sub is what requires only 3 ohm and that falls in the range of 1.5-4 Ohm which the amp can do.

Therefore, I would be able to use the amp in other applications.....

What Im looking for is something to power my sub (or amp) to run inside the home. I would have gotten that Dayton amp off partsexpress if only it went down 1 more Ohm, unless someone can convince me that it is safe and any other recommendations. That power supply is quite expensive.

Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2007 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  

tcss wrote:
Ehh? If you want W7 in the right home config.  look up Gothom and Fathom on the JL websight.

Be prepared to pay at minimum $11000 for a Gotham...13w7 with 1000/1, fuse? - Page 2 -- posted image.

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
kamberkash 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2007 at 2:44 AM / IP Logged  
goldtooth wrote:

I know that it doesnt matter to my 1000/1 amp, because the sub is what requires only 3 ohm and that falls in the range of 1.5-4 Ohm which the amp can do.

Therefore, I would be able to use the amp in other applications.....

What Im looking for is something to power my sub (or amp) to run inside the home. I would have gotten that Dayton amp off partsexpress if only it went down 1 more Ohm, unless someone can convince me that it is safe and any other recommendations. That power supply is quite expensive.

if you really want the W7 in your house, go with the dayton amp. my house amp was designed with an 100 watt 8 ohm sub in mind. i was running it at about 2.6 ohms which was pushing about 350 watts, maybe. that amp was a type a/b apm, and so is the dayton amp. its up to you, but if i had the money and wanted to put a w7 in my house i would biuld a good box and try it out.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic