icon

dual battery wiring better way?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hardwarz 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2007 at 1:50 AM / IP Logged  

I'm about to hook up a dual battery. I want the batteries to be isolated when the engine is off. I want to be able to flip a switch in the vehicle to jump start the vehicle.  I want dual batteries when the engine is on, and I want to be able to press a button and turn off the charging of the 2nd battery.

S = Solenoid

SW1 = Jump Start switch
R = Relay
SW2 = Stop charging of 2nd battery switch

Is there an easier way to wire this and still do what I want it to do?

dual battery wiring better way? - Last Post -- posted image.

Thanks

Hardwarz

still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2007 at 5:50 AM / IP Logged  
it s possible sounds like it might work but i wouold add a rely there to prevent the two batteries bbeign coneccted when the engine is on beacuse your alternator has to charge two batteries. but you said you wanted to flick a switch to have the second battery jump start the car. is ther second battery going to power your system. also if you get a new battery  you have to buy 2 because you have a 12 volt system in your car and when you make it a 24v system if one battery is newer than the other you are going to have a volt  problem. the batteries have to be like in age size and wattage. i was goign to do it but i didnt want to invest in two batteries, why is it you want two batteries what your current system . my advice is get a hp alternator and do the big 3 .
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
hardwarz 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2007 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  

The batteries are running in parallel.  It's a 12VDC system, not a 24VDC system.  If you wire them in series, then you'll have a 24VDC system.

Both batteries are charged from the alternator when the engine is on and running. When the engine is off, the 2nd battery is isolated from the primary battery and can be used for jumping the first battery.

The 2nd battery is going to run power to the stereo system, fog lights, overhead lights (when I add them) and other accessories.

Hardwarz

still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2007 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
Seems like it will work upgrade the alt. Cause the stock one won't cut it. Also two new batteries are in play and the big 3
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic