icon

viper 5900 zone 1 issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
basmoq 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 5:37 AM / IP Logged  
I've had the strangest issue with my viper 5900 the past three nights.  The alarm has gone off once per night for three consecutive nights, typically not less than six hours after I have parked.  It does not do this during the day, and there has been no one near my vehicle.  After the first two incidences, I thought it was the mercury tilt switch, so I disconnected it at the switch and taped off the wire ends so they couldn't short one another (ground and sensor).  I'm going to dig under the dash tonight and cut the wire back near where it goes into the alarm, but I just can't figure out why/where it may be shorting and I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation with this system.  I can't see a short occuring while parked and not moving but only after six hours of sitting there...  It just doesn't make sense to me.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 03, 2007 at 7:14 AM / IP Logged  

How cold is it there? How sensitive is your shock sensor set?  Could be as the car cools different types of metals contract at different rates, maybe a vibration from shifting metal is setting the shock sensor off.  Had the same problem on a motorcycle 25 years ago.

wblakes 
Copper - Posts: 202
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2007 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
alot of times i would get zone 1 trigger right away after i hit the lock button.
basmoq 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2007 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
no, according to the book zone one is the hood pin switch...
basmoq 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2007 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
oh, it's only been going off when it gets below 35 degrees out. If I shut off the alarm and then reset it, it doesn't go off again that night. I will check into the shock sensor though just in case.
basmoq 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2007 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
nope, shock sensor registers zone 2.  this is getting annoying...  I'd love to know what's setting this stinking alarm off...........
basmoq 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  

Well, I tried replacing the sensor wire for the hood pin switch, no luck, alarm still went off in the middle of the night when it got down below 35 degrees.  What I don't understand is how transient this is, it only goes off once, if I reset the alarm, it doesn't go off again that night... 

Someone has Got to have an idea of what may be going on here, anyone??? 

There is certainly not a short in the line, but my next step is to physically remove the gray pin switch wire from the harness.  what in the heck could be going on here?

basmoq 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
HA HA, I solved the mystery... The stupid install manual lists two different things in two different places. In the back of the book, zone 1 is listed as the trunk sensor wire, a blue wire in the H1 Harness. In the description section of the book, it lists this same wire as being a multiplex input zone 4... To make a long story short, it was my glass break sensor setting off the alarm, not the hood pin switch. It seems the car was making some sort of noise when the temp got low enough and that was setting off the glass break sensor... I've lowered the sensitivity on the sensor and this seems to have rectified the situation!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic