icon

valet 712 missing alarm function?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fsc137 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2007 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  

Just finished installing the Valet 712T in my 97 Chevy Cavalier today.  I have type C door locks so really liked the onboard relay feature of the 712 which is one of the reasons I bought it.   I also hooked up a relay and ran the wire for a trunk release solenoid.  Didn't have time to install the solenoid today but the wire does switch to 13 VDC when the Auxiliary button is pressed. 

Everything works great except for one thing which the install manual states that the unit should do, but which the owners manual doesn't mention. There are contradictionions in the manuals (like the passive arming feature mentioned in another thread) and I suspect this is another one of those.  I also could not find anything about this being a programable feature.

The install manual says to hook up the H1/15 Yellow input wire to the switched ignition.   It goes on to say "This wire will trigger the system if the ignition is turned on before the unit is disarmed (doors unlocked with the remote). It will also honk the vehicle's horn and flash the parking lights (if connected)."

I found that the unit does not do this.  When I arm the system by locking the doors with the remote and  then manually unlock the driver's door,  the LED is flashing to indicate the system is armed. However, when I turn the ignition and start the car (I don't have starter kill hooked up), the horn doesn't honk and the parking lights don't flash. 

The horn and parking lights are hooked up. The horn honks and the parking lights flash when pressing the "*" on the remote for panic mode. The parking lights also flash when arming or disarming the system, and the horn honks once if I press the "lock" button twice in a row.

I took the time in advance to plan the install before starting it. I got my wiring diagrams together and wrote on the 712 Primary Wiring Connector and Quick Reference Wiring Guide diagrams what wire and color from my car was to be connected where.  

In doing this, I figured the Yellow wire from the 712 was actually the one that controlled the automatic locking and unlocking of the doors when the ignition was turned on and off as I didn't see any other wire that would control this. I thought it was odd that the install manual didn't mention this but instead only mentioned about the lights flashing and the horn honking when the ignition is turned with the system armed.  I thought perhaps it controlled both. 

I didn't buy the unit based on this feature and would have bought it regardless so I am not too disappointed,. However, I  still thought it would be a nice feature to have.  Almost like having an alarm system if someone was actually able to start the car when it was armed.

So does anyone know if this function is actually available?

I also noticed the owners manual says the horn will honk when locking (only does this if the lock button is pressed twice, which I prefer) and will honk twice when unlocking, yet it doesn't honk at all when unlocking, even if pressing the unlock button twice. This isn't a big deal either as I will know if the doors are unlocked when I try to open them.

Funny thing is the owners manual mentions "Audible mode" and states "To temporarily turn on the arm or disarm horn honk(s) , simply press "Aux" for less than one second before arming or disarming, and the confirmation honk(s) will be present for that one operation only".  However, I don't see any programming option which allows you to disable horn honks. If there is no option to disable them, why do you need an Audible mode to temporarily enable them?

I suspect there have been software or firmware revisions in the 712 over the years but the manuals were not revised to reflect this but am still curious if anyone has the feature of the horn honking and the parking lights flashing if starting the car with the system armed.

swerve 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2007 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  

i have never gotten the 712 to do that with the ignition, nor get it to honk with a double press of unlock. it seems like they had major flaws with the manuals and actually operation of those units.

git yer swerve on!
frans-c 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2007 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
I also have the 712T, which I installed myself with horn honk and parking light flash functionality.
Today is the first time I read the part of the horn honking when the ignition is turned if the system hasn't been disarmed. It would've been a cool feature, but I can also confirm that it's a load of bull - in addition to the passive arming.
You can get a single and double-honk when locking or unlocking your car by pressing the Aux button for less than a second before pressing either the lock or unlock buttons, respectively. At least this is stated in the manual and it actually works valet 712 missing alarm function? - Last Post -- posted image. .
F R A N S
1985 Mercedes-Benz 230E
320 000 km / 199 000 miles
Full MB Service History
swerve 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2007 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
yup the aux button is the only way i've gotten them to honk the horn.
git yer swerve on!
fsc137 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2007 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
frans-c wrote:
You can get a single and double-honk when locking or unlocking your car by pressing the Aux button for less than a second before pressing either the lock or unlock buttons, respectively. At least this is stated in the manual and it actually works valet 712 missing alarm function? - Last Post -- posted image. .
Oh, okay now I see. I read about the audible horn honk by pressing the Aux button but didn't comprehend it correctly. I read it to mean you could temporarily get these honks IF they had been disabled. Not seeing an option to disable them, I thought it was a weird to have a way to enable something that wasn't disabled.
After reading your reply, I see they mean you can enable a honk on the first lock activation and enable the honk that doesn't exist in the unlock function by pressing Aux first.
Thank you for the helpful clarification.
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2007 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
The features mentioned you need to program through the data port with a bit writer. Confirmation chirps on or off and security functions I think as well. If you didn't install starter kill relay then you may want to. It helps prevent starter grind.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic