icon

viper 5900, 2007 jeep cherokee laredo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
live42day 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
I am trying get the parts together to install a Viper 5900 in my 2007 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. I don't need the transponder bypass and I don't have a factory alarm. I was going to use a chdl7-pk2 but I don't need the transponder bypass, but I would like to ge the rest of what that module offers. I spoke with a directed tech via email and I'm not sure what to do based on his responses.
Here is the email conversation I had with him. Can anyone else help me with this?
ME: I have a 2007 Jeep Cherokee Laredo without the transponder system(key has no chip). So all I need is something that will do Lock/Unlock, Rear Hatch, Starter Enable, Door Trigger Out(-). I was told to get the CHDL7-PK2, but I dont need the transponder bypass. However, I do need the 2nd starter and acc wire bypass. I was looking at the CHDL7 and the XK03. Which one of those would work and what is difference between them?
Thank you in advance.
Tech:Is your vehicle equipped with OEM remote and alarm system as well as the power seat feature? And for sure there is transponder chip in the key?
ME: It is equipped with the keyless entry and hatch open on the key remote. I verified that it is not a transponder setup by pulling the guts out of the key fob so it was just a bare key and the truck started fine. It has powerseats on the driver side only and no factory alarm feature, just keyless entry.
Tech: There is a chance the XK03-CHDL7 or CHDL7 will not work in this vehicle if not equipped with OEM alarm feature.
I guess I don't know what to do now other than go through the trouble of using all the relays and resistors. Why would I have to have the OEM alarm for those bypass units to work?
live42day 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2007 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I talked with the tech more and asked him why I needed the factory alrm/transponder equipped and this is what he said:
Without the transponder system in the vehicle the CAN bus information is not available in order for a kit to work the door lock features.
Has anyone ever had this happen? If so what did you do? What do the wires for the CAN bus look like if I were to look to see if they were there?
Am I just stuck with no option of using any bypasses to save time?
live42day 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2007 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
Ok One more time. I asked the tech the same thing I asked here.
Heres the convo:
Me: I am an experienced installer that hasnt practiced in about 5 years , so this CAN bus stuff is new to me. :-) Thank you for all your help Michael! I am going to pull it apart and look at it. How can I identify if the CAN bus setup is present or not based on wiring under the dash? If it is indeed not present then I assume I have to go through the trouble of using relays and resistors for the door locks and diode isolating all four door triggers and so on. Right?
Thanks again for all your help!
Tech:
The problem is your vehicle will have the WHITE/ Orange Can bus data wire in the location where it is supposed to be , so this will not tell you anything.
You could purchase an XK03-CHDL7 or CHDL7 (same kit - functions) to see if either will work. If the kit did not work , you would not be able to return for a refund….sorry!
The door lock (resistance) and (-) trigger wires should be able located in the driver’s kick panel…
Guess its a 50/50 chance.
Well I think I have my questions answered through the tech, but if noone else here has any similar experiences, at least my posts will hopefully help someone else.
Thanks!
live42day 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2007 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
I see I'm talking to myself here, but can anyone here confirm or deny this info?
dre187 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2007 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  
your vehicle should have the can bus system regardless. can bus does many functions in the vehicle other then the transponder. you even need a moduel to change your radio. the XK03 module from directed is meant for doorlocks, factory alarm, hatch etc. the only option it doesnt do it transponder override for your vehicle. seems weird that your vehicle doesnt have a trasponder though. havnt seen that before on that vehicle. anyways, good luck
live42day 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2007 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I was surprised too that it didn't have the transponder equipped. I'm going to purchase the xk03 and hope that it works.
Thanks!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic