icon

2003 taurus factory remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
savo 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2007 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
I have just bought a 2003 ford Taurus SES with Remote Keyless entry.
I want to add Remote start functionality to it. I have a bulldog remote start that works great. I am not worried about the range. Only problem with the bulldog is the Parking light activation burned out. Also, I really like the T-Harness they sell for them. It really made installation on a 1998 Explorer a dream. The only wire I had to tap was the brake input trigger.
And the Doorlock Trigger.
Anyway. I want to ugrade my Keyless entry to include remote start. I would really like to use the factory equipment.
The rear defrost activation would be awsome. I like the idea of having one fob. Tough I could tap the lock switch as
another input to the Bulldog. I did that with the Explorer and it worked great. Lock it 3 times with the factory fob and it
would start. I could even use to the trim lock to start it.
But still. Who doesn't like a factory remote start. Plus the factory remote start is more configurable then the aftermarket.
So my questions are.
-Does any one have experience installing/upgrade the factory keyless to remote start?
-Sine factory keyless is installed. Will I have to re-tap 15-30 wires?
-Can I use the Ignition T-Harness and wire it to the Ignition wires for the Remote Start module?
     I havn't had any problems with the t-harness in the past.
-Can I use the DEI 556Sw by-pass that is compatible with this revision of P.A.T.S/Securilock?
As an offering to the gods above.(and those that help out, those that read the boards)
http://www.gemsen.com/ford
Thank you all for your help.
Savo
--savo
Reeceddogg 
Copper - Posts: 329
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2007 at 3:10 AM / IP Logged  
savo wrote:
-Does any one have experience installing/upgrade the factory keyless to remote start?
-Sine factory keyless is installed. Will I have to re-tap 15-30 wires?
-Can I use the Ignition T-Harness and wire it to the Ignition wires for the Remote Start module?
     I havn't had any problems with the t-harness in the past.
-Can I use the DEI 556Sw by-pass that is compatible with this revision of P.A.T.S/Securilock?
Savo
Question 1: Yes
Q2: Probably not if using t-harness
Q3: Yes
Q4: Yes
savo 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2007 at 5:44 AM / IP Logged  
So I would be able to buy the upgraded PowerCode Unit. Pull the keyless entry module out. Plug in the combination RKE/RMST box and make the extra necessary connections to the ignition harness. Add the Ford SecuriLock or after-market Directed 556Sw unit it for PATS override.
This sounds way to simple. 2003 taurus factory remote start -- posted image.
Extra questions. Do I need to get a Tach Wire?
Does the same apply for the 3 in one. remote start, key-less, Alarm.
Besides wires to the Key switch. What other wires will I need to tap into?
Thank You
--savo
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,428
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2007 at 6:34 AM / IP Logged  
i install the ford power code systems    there is no t-harness that i know of for the 2003 taurus    i would advise wiring in the tach input wire the taurus seems to start better with it   as far as the door locks go     
lock is (pink / YELLOW) negitive pulse   drivers kick
unlock is (pink/green) negitive pulse drivers kick   
factory alarm is (pink/white) negitive pulse   drivers kick
dome light is (BLACK/ blue) positive pulse    drivers kick
FOR THE ALARM
lock motor is (pink/black) positive   drivers kick
unlock motor is (RED / white) positive drivers kick
passenger door unlock motor is (pink/orange) passenger kick
IGNITION HARNESS
12 volts (lt GREEN/ violet) positive
Ignition (RED / green)   positive
Acc 1 (grey / YELLOW)   positive
Acc 2 (BLACK/ green)   positive
starter (RED / blue)    positive
key sense (BLACK/ pink) negitive   connector to the right of steering column
horn (blue) negitive connector the the right of the steering column
parking lights (brown) positive   headlight switch
trunk release (purple / YELLOW) positive   release switch
Tachometer (WHITE/ yellow) ing coil
please remember to test all wires before hooking up    let me know if you need anything else
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
savo 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2007 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
But arn't the majority of those wires used with the existing Key-less entry?
I was thinking this is a drop-in replacement. And tap the extra wires that the Keyless didn't do already.
My underlying question was has anybody taken a stock car that came with a keyless entry from the factory then later on tried to change the box with a combination keyless/remote start. Like this one
2003 taurus factory remote start -- posted image.
So this wouldn't be drop-in replacement?
Also I have used this thing in the past and it was great. IT shows compatibility with up to a 04 Taurus. I would think this would be a great place to get the IGN. from. Not the biggest fan of tapping heavy gauge wires in a cramped space. You know what I mean?
http://www.amazon.com/T-Harness-Ford-Applications/dp/B0004FO2UU
2003 taurus factory remote start -- posted image.
--savo
chev104275 
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2007 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
Thats a ford add on remote start/keyless kit   if wired right you can replace the factory remotes but u cant remove the factory keyless entry    that harness would make it alot eaiser to wire ingition harness   thats the gen 1 kit u would need to run tach in that car   that system has a tachless mode but its only has a one second crank time and has no engine checking which means it will crank over the car but if it doesnt start on the first try it will leave the key and parking lights on for the duration of the time 10 or 15 mins on this module   taurus isnt that hard   everything is easy to access   hope this answers your question    Joe
savo 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2007 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
That helps to know. That does answer my question. So to get the features I wanted. I would have to leave the old box in place and re-tap the wires. You are talking about piggy-backing the units together?
I was afraid of that. So this is basicly Fords after market kit. Meant just for a few different vehicles?
What do the dealers do when something like this is requested?
What does ForMoCo do at the factory? I would like to replicate that.
Is it possible to salvage a unit from a junk yard and drop it into place?
I have a warranty I would not like to void. I have installed a few bulldog units. I have confidence in my self. But if I can simplify and gain some additional convenience, that would be cool. I was interested in the rear defrost feature.
If it wasn't for a warranty I would probably go for it. Maybe in 50,000 miles I will.
What about a salvaged unit?
Thanks for all your help
--savo
chev104275 
Posted: December 14, 2007 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
you would have to piggy back    the factory keyless is part of the gem in this car   u cant just swap the module   the gem controls alot of other fuctions    as far as defrost goes the wire color is blue/orange at the rear defrost switch   
ford doesnt offer factory remote start
as far as a dealer goes they would install the ford add on system like the one you have   
hope i answered all your questions
savo 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2007 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you very much Joe for your assistance. So this is a major part of the car then. I think i will stick with the after market then.
I have another question. About the rear defrost. It's a momentary contact switch. How can I get a pulse out of the constant output?
Can you tell me what polarity of a pulse I need for rear defrost?
Thanks again for the insight. I think I will wait until the warranty expires for the ford remote starter.
--savo
chev104275 
Posted: December 15, 2007 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
the rear defrost is a blue/ orange wire at the rear defrost switch   the switch is part of the radio assy so you will have to pull the whole thing   its a pulsed ground   if you use the ford add on starter its the blue/white wire from the module its set to pulse as a default setting in programming
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic