icon

Horn with the alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joelr7309 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2002 at 3:53 AM / IP Logged  
Okay I have a 92 integra and I'm trying to have the horn go off with the alarm, but I don't want it to hong when I arm/disarm  the alarm, I tried this diagram but with a horn and it didn't work, all i here is the two prong flasher clicking alot with the siren, I doing some thing wrong, and I here is the little alarm and not the horn with it.,  But it didn't work?
If your alarm has a positive siren output, but no light flash output, the connections are as shown. If you need more info on light flash start here.
Horn with the alarm -- posted image.
the rookie!~
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2002 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
that is right  you hear the flasher flashing so it should be fine,. check your horn and switch the terminals on the flasher. and also put a tester on the wire that you tapped in to the horn it should read pos when you pres the horn if not than your horn is completely negative trigger . this is how to test with a dmm or somethign else test to see if you get a constant 12 volts if you do than you need to change the polarity of pin 87 on the relay to ground so when the alarm goes off the neggative signal will go through the flasher and relay so you can get the honk honk honk . down side do to the fact that a horn works right away there is no way to not have it hunk with arm disarm cause this would be different with air horns cause they have to build up air first oem horns dont have to say they are fast acting.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
SnomanF150 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2002 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  

if you hear the flasher flashing, you diffinetly have something hooked u0p wrong.. the only way a flasher will work is if it's pulling current thru it.  All a flasher is is a self resetting curcuit breaker.. when it will see the current from the horn, it will heat up and break connection.. when it cools slightly, it will close and the horn will blow again.. and keep doing this while 12+ is applied..

Did you go directly to the horn for the connection or did you get it in the dash.. if you caught it at the dash, it will be a ground input for the horn.. it will be triggering a relay which will not pull enough current to trip the flasher. 

George
David's Car Stereo
Baton Rouge, LA
joelr7309 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2002 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
I disconnected the steering wheel and also the the coonection, i see three lines two is neg and the RED / green is pos,  I tap the horn wire after the connection and tested but didn't work, i here the two prong flasher going off with the siren but no horn?
the rookie!~
SnomanF150 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2002 at 6:37 AM / IP Logged  
run the lead from the flasher to under the hood to catch the horn..
George
David's Car Stereo
Baton Rouge, LA
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2002 at 7:57 AM / IP Logged  

Hey joelr7309, once again you've run into the same problem I did (same car).  The horn in our car rests at (+) and needs a (-) signal for the horn to honk.  What I did is just what djfearny said....I connected pin 87 to ground, and it worked.  My horn honks with the alarm, but what's cool is it doesn't honk with the arm/disarm chirps.  It's so obnoxious when the alarm goes off....I love it!

The horn wire is a blue/red wire located in the steering column harness.  I was able to locate it directly under the steering wheel (right above where your knees are when driving).  It was covered in all that black plastic and loom, but I got to it.  I actually found it first right by the ignition switch to test it.  Here's a good way to find out if you're found the right wire (besides also testing it with the DMM).  Take a separate piece of wire and touch one end to the car's chassis, and the other to the horn wire (strip away some of the rubber so the wire is exposed).  This is giving the wire a (-) signal, and the horn should honk.

Mine works just great, the only problem is that I've tested it in parking lots from quite a distance (with the PANIC feature).  The alarms goes off just fine....the only problem is I can barely get it to stop!  I keep pressing the button as I walk closer and closer, and nothing happens until like 10+ seconds later.  You should test the PANIC from a distance before you finish this, and then see what happens when you're done.  I'm not sure if it's adding the horn that did it, or something else.  (Maybe a dying remote battery, but everything else works just fine).

Here was my post about this (well, towards then end of the post, reallly):  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=3&TopicID=637&PagePosition=3#thread

POST YOUR RESULTS!!!

joelr7309 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2002 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  

Cpgoose, I read the forum you had about this, and your just the man I been wanting to chat with,  so the diagram on top is right, 

86 (+) to siren                           

87 (-) to ground

30 (x) flasher

85 (-) ground too

Flasher  (L)  to (+) horn

confirm if this is right  "THANKS"

cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2002 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
what's up joel?  yea, that's right (well, that's the way I did it at least).  the diagram in the first post is correct except for pin 87 goes to ground...just like you said.
joelr7309 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2002 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
Man I tried it and it worked, the siren and horn goes off when triggered and only chirps the siren when arm/disarmed  pressed,  on a 550esp, where did you hook up the trunk (-) neg  input to the alarm,  I see the door trigger output but nothing to the trunk, so i jumper the dorr trigger to the same wire with the trunk, only problem is when i open the door it show the trunk open too! weird man,  but as for my installation with the, it went great with the help of Cpgoose and JEff and DJferny and everyone that helped,  THANK YOU
the rookie!~
joelr7309 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2002 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
Cpgoose, No ten second delay with the panic button. it turns off asap, must be your battery with your remote!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic