icon

98 Eclipse Spyder - Factory Amp Bypass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Addict 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2003 at 8:02 AM / IP Logged  

Is there anyway to get around that Inifinity amp?  I bought a harness that takes 2 preouts from your head unit and converts them to the din that the amp uses.  Only thing is that it gets a pop noise when it powers on.  I attribute this to the quality of the amp.

Anyhow, my car has 6 speakers total.  2(6.5") door, 2(4") dash & 2(6x9) rear.  Any thoughts?  I'm replacing the doors & rears in addition to the head unit

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2003 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  

The correct way to put an aftermarket head unit into this vehicle is to use the MITAH adapter that you already have.  To alleviate the turn-on pop situation, you'll have to do a little rewiring but it's not tha big a deal.  First, you'll need to get one of these turn-on pop elminiators (N-66 will work fine).  This will go inline on the head unit's red (+12 volt switched) wire, and prevent it from turning on for 2.5 seconds.  Now in order to do this correctly you have to take the blue wire from the MITAH adapter, and instead of connecting it to the head unit's amp remote output, you'll connect it directly to the +12 volt switched wire.  But make sure you make the connection BEFORE you place that turn-on pop eliminator.

When hooked up this way, when you turn the car on, the factory amp will first power up, and then 2.5 seconds later, the head unit will turn on.  If 2.5 seconds is too long for you to wait, you can get the adjustable one which they say is adjustable from 0-30 seconds.  However I don't know what increments it can be adjusted in.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
Addict 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2003 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  

Doesn't sound like a big deal.  Beats rewiring the whole car(which was going to be this weekends project  ). Thanks for the help.

I basically split the 12v+ switched.  On one side I have the blue wire for the MITAH.  On the other I have the N-66 inline with the 12v+ constant going to the head unit.

Right?

esmith69 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2003 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

the n-66 goes inline with the +12 volts switched going to the head unit, not the constant.

Remember that even when the head unit has just the constant power going to it (for example when the car is turned off), it will still not output any signal (or turn on for that matter).

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
Addict 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2003 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  
esmith69 wrote:

the n-66 goes inline with the +12 volts switched going to the head unit, not the constant.

Remember that even when the head unit has just the constant power going to it (for example when the car is turned off), it will still not output any signal (or turn on for that matter).

Whoops I meant switched.  That site apparently isn't working.  Their checkout is broke.  Any other suggestions?

esmith69 
Posted: June 17, 2003 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
Did you make sure to put a "1" in the quantity box before pressing "Add to order"?  I made that mistake a few times and thought too that the site was down, but finally realized my mistake.  It let me get all the way into the final checkout section so u might want to try it again.
Ethan
-----
Donate to the12volt.com
Addict 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2003 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  
Looks like it worked that time around.  Hopefully I get it soon.  Just having rear speakers isn't cutting it!98 Eclipse Spyder - Factory Amp Bypass -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic