icon

motorcycle alarm, need tutorial

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ryanrex 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2007 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  

Hi guys, your great and I need some help! I've been wiring stereo's for a good part of my life, alarms, thats another story!

So I bought one of those Aolin Alarms off ebay for my motorcycle and needed a little concrete guidence to help me get the sucker in there, where Iam located there is no mechanic, especially motorcycle electric's for a good 200 miles, so I have to go it alone!

I've attached the schematics and a pic of the harness, if anyone can kinda walk me through a typical install I will owe them the world!

ryanrex 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2007 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
motorcycle alarm, need tutorial -- posted image.
ryanrex 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2007 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2007 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
Are you planning to install it as a remote starter or are you going to just use the alarm and ignition kill function of it?
There's no indication that there's any safeties built into it for remote starting, so I wouldn't use it for that. Use it just for the alarm, flashing lights, and noisemaker, but not the RS.
ryanrex 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2007 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  

I'd like to use the remote starter as it pretty cold up here and it takes my bike a good while to warm up, I'd need to make sure I leave it in park!

Whats the deal with the scissors?

Any help would be great guys! So far Dual sport is a winning!!

ryanrex 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2007 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
Oh yeah, the safety mechanisim in place is that the bike won't start when its in gear and the kickstand is down, so that should take care of that
dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2007 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
Problem is that you might be sure to leave it in park, but you can't be sure someone else didn't click it down into gear without you knowing.
Wouldn't be good to hit the remote and then watch it lurch off the sidestand onto the ground..
The unit doesn't seem to have an input to detect something like a neutral switch, otherwise you could have used that to detect if it's safe to start. Is the bike fuel injected? If not, and you need to operate a choke or enrichment lever, it wouldn't do any good anyway, since the RS won't do that for you.
I think any benefits from having an RS on a bike are pretty minor compared to the potential drawbacks. It's not like there's a heating system to warm up the interior, like on a car, so you're going to sit on a cold seat in either case.
The scissor in the diagram is just saying you would cut the line from the bike's ignition switch output going out to the ignition circuit, giving control through the relay with the green wire. It lets the alarm unit open or close the connection to disable or enable the ignition.
You'd need to bench test it first, but the other scissor shown is probably to open up the kill switch line that normally disables the ignition when the ignition switch is off. If it were left connected, the remote start wouldn't work even if it supplied power to the ignition.
What's strange is that they seem to presume the colors of the wiring from the ignition switch is the same on all the bikes, which isn't the case. You'll have to dig around for information on your specific bike to find the right wires to hook up to.
dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2007 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
ryanrex wrote:
Oh yeah, the safety mechanisim in place is that the bike won't start when its in gear and the kickstand is down, so that should take care of that
If you wire in at the right point so the interlock is still functional, it might work then. So there's no choke to contend with when you start?
ryanrex 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2007 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  
I've installed an automatic choke so that should work
ryanrex 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2007 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, so here's as far as I get, I know the big red coming out of the relays is a straight positive hook-up.
The big blue coming out of the relays comes on for 3secs when I hit the remote start so I would hook this up to the starter?
The Big orange and big and green ones turn on and stay on when the remote start is hit, would I cut the ignition on wire and place one at each end?
Still not sure about grey and pink. Any help?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic