the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Non-linearity of air?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  

Poormanq45 wrote:
Yep, I completely understand that. Unfortunately women have become the dominant party in a relationship and dictate such things as how large the speakers can be.

That is absolutely soooooooo correct.  We like to call it the "WF" or Wife Factor.

Poormanq45 wrote:
I think a little market called the Home theater market would be very interested in a sub like that.

Actually unfortunately it is quite the opposite.  The Home theater market is greatly gavitating toward small enclosures.   And the main reason for it is because of the WF mentioned above.   We do a lot of OEM design of speaker systems for quite a few companies, and all of them want the subs as small as possible.  A perfect example of this is the OEM sub we are selling on our E-bay store.   It is a 10" cube.  In fact we recently designed a system for one OEM consisting of 2 of our 15" Tumults and a 2400 watt Rms amplifier in a small enclosure.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
Steven Kephart wrote:

Well like I said earlier, there is just no market for that type of sub.  And as a manufacturer, you have to offer what will sell if you want to stay in business.

And you are so right.  The market wants BIG wattage numbers to brag about.  They'd rather say "I've got a 1000 watt sub!" then "I've got a 100 watt sub".  So if I were a manufacturer and produced a sub whose efficiency was 97...and put that up against a sub with an efficiency of 87...

...and both were identical in their abilities to produce the same SPL level; the only difference being in the efficiency...

increase in db = 10*log(p2/p1)

where p1 is the reference power, p2 is the new power level, and log is log base 10...)

...I would be trying to sell a 100 watt sub up against 1000 watt subs in a market that doesn't understand what efficiency is.

That is to say, the sub with a 87 db efficiency would take 1000 watts to equal the SPL my sub makes with 100 watts with its 97 db rating.  But the subs' continuous power handling numbers would, of course, reflect their efficiency.

Both would be loud, and either would be as loud as the other...but my sub is "only" a 100 watt sub.  Oh and yeah, that's not even considering the exponential increase in "peak" numbers!  The 1000 watt sub will get the buyers because we all know the buyer's knowledge is very limited.

My gosh, just think about how limited OUR knowledge is on the subject...and we digest this stuff on a daily basis!  (..."we" = me...)  The average buyer is pathetic by comparison.  They see that Volkswagon commercial where the guy and girl go to the store and buy a subwoofer that says "1000 watts" in big bold letters on the box, and they say "That's what I want!"  It's not even unusual that some of them think in the back of their minds that the subwoofer actually produces the power.

89 db/1 watt is good for me.  That's what I'm using.  Power is cheap but I like it cheaper.

(...I had to come back and edit my wattage numbers here because I originally screwed up the math part...)

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
stevedart wrote:
My gosh, just think about how limited OUR knowledge is on the subject...and we digest this stuff on a daily basis! (..."we" = me...) The average buyer is pathetic by comparison. They see that Volkswagon commercial where the guy and girl go to the store and buy a subwoofer that says "1000 watts" in big bold letters on the box, and they say "That's what I want!" It's not even unusual that some of them think in the back of their minds that the subwoofer actually produces the power.
The scary thing is that if you watch the comercial, and mazda too, they turn the HU up to 100% volume! I eeffing hate marketing bull$hhh. It is so powerful that it even affects the products that companies make. Just look at adire audio. They conformed.
If I were incharge of developement I would have chosen NOT to conform. The enclosure would be close to 10ft^3 for all my drivers. My selling point? Hmm... Sacrificing the space will save you money on your electric bill compared to other subs.
ANd it'd be true becaus eit'd only take ~50watts to drive it above reference levels.
NOw compare that to the compact subs that require 500~1000 watts to just reach refernce levelsNon-linearity of air? - Page 4 -- posted image.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 2:17 AM / IP Logged  

Poormanq45 wrote:
It is so powerful that it even affects the products that companies make. Just look at adire audio. They conformed.

Uh oh, trying to start another topic in this thread I see. Non-linearity of air? - Page 4 -- posted image.  So I guess I will take the bait and ask you to explain this comment.  I should warn you though that we have seen many similar comments by people after making the recent changes, and it has always proven that those people are basing their opinion on very limited knowledge of the situation.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
YOu are designing high power handling, low efficiency drivers that are made to go into small enclosures. That IMO is conforming to the current trend.
Note I only used Adire as an example because you're the only rep I see on here.
Do you guys make any drivers that are designed for "large" enclosures? Meaning 5ft^3 or more?
Steven Kephart 
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  

Oh wow, I totally misread what you were saying then.  I'm sorry about that.

Keep in mind thought that if you want to sell product, you have to offer what is popular. 

I discussed this thread with our salesman, and he did mention that we used to have an efficienct sub with large throw but required a pretty good size enclosure.  It was our Maelstrom.  It had 13mm of throw one way which is huge for pro sound gear, and had an efficiency of over 92 dB.  However those drivers sold VERY slow because there just wasn't a market for them.  Ported enclosure requirements for it were in the 5-6 cubic feet area.  In fact, just recently a guy posted pictures of one he just put in a 14 cubic foot enclosure.  Here's the link: http://forceaudio.com/viewtopic.php?t=75

Also, our old Shiva and Tempest drivers were well known for their efficiency, but large box requirements.  They had 16 and 18mm of throw one way respectively.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
steven wrote:
Keep in mind thought that if you want to sell product, you have to offer what is popular.
I discussed this thread with our salesman, and he did mention that we used to have an efficienct sub with large throw but required a pretty good size enclosure. It was our Maelstrom. It had 13mm of throw one way which is huge for pro sound gear, and had an efficiency of over 92 dB. However those drivers sold VERY slow because there just wasn't a market for them. Ported enclosure requirements for it were in the 5-6 cubic feet area. In fact, just recently a guy posted pictures of one he just put in a 14 cubic foot enclosure. Here's the link: http://forceaudio.com/viewtopic.php?t=75
Yep, I understand. High efficiency drivers trade off power handling because they don't need much power to play loud. Unfortunately people(mostly teenagers/young 20 year olld) are obsessed with huge power numbers. When I'm talking to someone about there system the first words out of their mouth are, "I've got XXX watts". My response is, "So, I've got X watts and play just as loud". WHen asked what I'm running for my mains and how I'm powering them, I respond with, "15w RMS from the stock Bose amplifiers." They're powering high efficiency Infinity Kappa Speakers to ~110~115dB Non-linearity of air? - Page 4 -- posted image.
ANyways, I understand the marketing behind it. I think it's going to take a company to go out and mass market efficieny. SImilar to what Bose did, they blanketed people with mindless information to make them think their product was better. Fortunately though, in the efficiency case your product would be betterNon-linearity of air? - Page 4 -- posted image.
Hmm, 4~5ft^3 really doesn't take up much trunk space if you build a proper enclosure, usually custom molded of fiberglass. Unfortunately most people only use MDFNon-linearity of air? - Page 4 -- posted image., but hey, that just leaves a market for me to make low profile high volume enclosures for themNon-linearity of air? - Page 4 -- posted image.
About the selling what's popular. You could market like I said. That'd surely get people to open their eyes.
WOuldn't it be awesome to have people competing to see who could have the lowest wattage and the highest output!
Steven Kephart 
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  

Well that's just the thing, high efficiency isn't necessarily something that you want to look for.  It is important in pro sound, however you have so much working for you in car audio it really isn't a necessity to market.  It's like trying to petition people to breathe less in the forest to conserve oxygen.  What is the point?  You get so much free bass from the small environment of the vehicle, and power amplifiers are so efficient and cheap it's not an issue.  I, and a majority of the consumers out there, would MUCH prefer all the same bass (and many instances much lower bass) in a much smaller enclosure.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
When I was 16 I installed my first box with a friend of mine who learned the craft from his older brother.
A pair of Pioneer 12" subs getting 100 watts a peice.. the *spec* box was like 4 cft.. in a 92 Sentra this thing took up the *entire* trunk.
Imagine the jubilation not 4 years later installing a pair of Exact 12s at 2cft... but yea.. ack.
That was a 1000watt amp he had on those.
<I'm really sleepy>
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic